i7 960 4ghz OC at 1.28V

Alright so I got a deal from a friend on an i7 960 16GB of G.SKILL RipjawsX and an msi x58a-gd45 motherboard for $50. He got it new in 2011 and never overclocked on either the chip or the board. I’m planning to use this in a cheap gaming rig to sell locally but I wanted to see how it overclocks first. I got it up to 4.02 ghz without touching any voltages with the cpu multiplier at 175x23. I’ve been running cinebench r20, prime 95, Aida 64 and playing games on it all day and haven’t had any problems yet. The max temp I got on a hyper 212 evo is 85C with room temps around 30C. The voltage stays constant at 1.28v on the cpu core. From what I’ve heard most of these chips need around 1.38v to be stable. I’m pretty new to overclocking and never did it on a platform as old as this. I want to know, is this sustainable? Is it a good idea to sell it this way? I got a reasonable improvement in games and cinebench r20 scores went from 1062 to 1301. Any experience is greatly appreciated 

You sell it stock and let someone else worry about overclocking it......

If it isnt broken dont fix it.

But are you sure you aren't looking at VID (processor request voltage) instead of the actual v-core?

16 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

generally a good idea, this platform is really old, the Mobo probably don't have much life left, an OC might just be the thing that broke the camels back. 

34 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yeah I’m sure I’m looking at the right numbers. I guess I’ll heed your advice, it’s a shame too it looks like I won the silicon lottery with this one. I suppose it’s better than getting an angry email 1 year down the line saying the pc fried itself

8 minutes ago, Distorted_doggo said:

Yeah I’m sure I’m looking at the right numbers. I guess I’ll heed your advice, it’s a shame too it looks like I won the silicon lottery with this one. I suppose it’s better than getting an angry email 1 year down the line saying the pc fried itself

It might still die 1 year from now....

A good PSU will have a 100,000 hour life expectancy. A processor 3 times that. A motherboard about half. (Common hp Dell failures) cheap hardware is a toss up. DOA wouldn't be a surprise. 

Ball park of course. ( not saying this rig, just in general)

5 minutes ago, Distorted_doggo said:

Yep.

Winning the silicon lottery with an old cpu is quite fun but also painful as you know you wont be the one benefiting from it....

I feel your pain.......

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

48 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It might still die 1 year from now....

A good PSU will have a 100,000 hour life expectancy. A processor 3 times that. A motherboard about half. (Common hp Dell failures) cheap hardware is a toss up. DOA wouldn't be a surprise. 

Ball park of course. ( not saying this rig, just in general)

This is a high quality board though, the capacitors on it are rated for 14yrs if used stock (according to the box). But if it does fail, whoever buys one of my PCs gets my business card with my email on it. If there are any problems down the line with the board down the line I’ll be responsible.

1 minute ago, Distorted_doggo said:

This is a high quality board though, the capacitors on it are rated for 14yrs if used stock (according to the box). But if it does fail, whoever buys one of my PCs gets my business card with my email on it. If there are any problems down the line with the board down the line I’ll be responsible.

Yea the caps. But there are other parts on the board..... For sure but was just round about figures. Nothing to set a link to.

I'm not a huge fan of MSI motherboards. I like their video cards though.