What TYPE of headphones are best for rock?

Cs342

I always appreciate music like acdc, warrant, metlica, etc with headphones that are flat, but with tight bass. nothing booming or too bright.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I always appreciate music like acdc, warrant, metlica, etc with headphones that are flat, but with tight bass. nothing booming or too bright.

What headphones specifically?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

What headphones specifically?

That sounds like Sony MDR 7506 or Shure 440s with 840 pads to me. 

Close, I do like the 7506, but I was thinking more along the lines of the HD280/380,  I have been looking at the 440's but never got around to pulling the trigger. 

I think they'll be my next purchase.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I like my Mad Dogs for rock/metal, Grados are apparently good for rock too

I like my Mad Dogs for rock/metal, Grados are apparently good for rock too

But Mad Dogs are way more than his budget and Grados are open-back so you can't take them on public transport.

I've tried the SE215 in-store. I could not get them to fit my ears due to the wear shape, and as a result I couldnt tell how they sound

They do take getting used to and a lot of people don't get that you wear them over the ears. Thing is, doing so with an IEM reduces cable noise considerably and makes them less likely to be pulled out. If you tried them in store I going to guess you didn't use the memory foam tips, right? Just the rubber tips? I had Ultimate Ears UE700's for years and I hated them with rubber tips but a good set of memory foam and I could wear them all day.

Are they? They look big in the pictures. Interesting. I was really tempted at buying them but I already have 2 pairs of headphones so I can't really justify it haha. 

I just bought some, and they do sound really good. Although, like mr moose, I prefer a flatter sound, they sound very good, especially for acoustic guitars and vocals. EDIT: and the cups aren't that big. Here's the Silverado's on a 1.5 liter bottle of Fanta:

owq9OJj.jpg

Edited by Lauen

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I just bought some, and they do sound really good. Although, like mr moose, I prefer a flatter sound, they sound very good, especially for acoustic guitars and vocals. EDIT: and the cups aren't that big. Here's the Silverado's on a 1.5 liter bottle of Fanta:

Hm are they closer to the flat side? I really enjoy my bass heavier DT770 so perhaps they aren't the right headphones for me. 

Hm are they closer to the flat side? I really enjoy my bass heavier DT770 so perhaps they aren't the right headphones for me. 

DT 770's are V-shaped not bass-heavy, mang!  :wacko:

They aren't as flat as my Shure SRH440's, but they are really enjoyable. Certainly flatter than my friends Beats Pro (gross)

They look bass heavy to me here: http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=713&graphID%5B1%5D=&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

Although there is a smaller spike in the higher range so I guess they could be V-shaped. I don't hear too much of a difference in the highs though so perhaps my hearing isn't that great up there. 

They look bass heavy to me here: http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=713&graphID%5B1%5D=&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

Although there is a smaller spike in the higher range so I guess they could be V-shaped. I don't hear too much of a difference in the highs though so perhaps my hearing isn't that great up there. 

Common misconception - just because the bass region is above the x-axis doesn't mean they're "bass heavy"

For contrast, V-Moda's are bass heavy because the highs are well below the x-axis.: http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=713&graphID%5B1%5D=4021&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

How about the Sony XB series?

But Mad Dogs are way more than his budget and Grados are open-back so you can't take them on public transport.

They do take getting used to and a lot of people don't get that you wear them over the ears. Thing is, doing so with an IEM reduces cable noise considerably and makes them less likely to be pulled out. If you tried them in store I going to guess you didn't use the memory foam tips, right? Just the rubber tips? I had Ultimate Ears UE700's for years and I hated them with rubber tips but a good set of memory foam and I could wear them all day.

Yeah sorry didn't see the price range, i was on my mobile at the time.

I would recommand anything Vsonic for IEM's you can get a pair of cheap ones, I got a pair of GR02 Balanced ones and find them really good for rock/metal.

Yeah sorry didn't see the price range, i was on my mobile at the time.

I would recommand anything Vsonic for IEM's you can get a pair of cheap ones, I got a pair of GR02 Balanced ones and find them really good for rock/metal.

Is the bass deep enough on the GRO2s?

Is the bass deep enough on the GRO2s?

They have the Bass version of the GR02 but i haven't heard them, with the balaced version I played around with the Equalizer and i could feel my eardrum vibrating which I didn't like lol. If you have a Android phone  and decide which headphones/IEM you want check out this app http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2191223 it's a very good Equalizer

I hear J33 IEMs are pretty good and they're around $50. Don't have personal experiance though. Although, CHC Silverados are a compelling option since they're $99 on Amazon again if you are willing to sacrifice the portability. 

I have not heard the J33s yet but I own a pair of J22 and I absolutely love them and I use them when I'm out doing stuff. I've abuse it a lot and I always randomly throw them somewhere but after about 1 and a half years, they still hold up, Would highly recommend them. Though there something I don't like about them and that is the small carrying case, it uses a stiff metal/cardboard to close it and I've not used it much but it has now been bent and does not close as well, but other then that its a good budget pair of IEMs. 

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

What do you mean V-shaped?

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

What do you mean V-shaped?

the frequency response has a bump in the bass and the highs, effectively creating a v-shaped sound signature, more bass and highs.

the frequency response has a bump in the bass and the highs, effectively creating a v-shaped sound signature, more bass and highs.

Ohhhhhh.... thanks for the explanation.

ASUS ROG G75VX

I've heard Grado's are pretty decent for rock and metal.

Personally I've been using theBeyerDynamic DT880 Premiums.  They're pretty spectacular and so comfy - I frequently get up to move away from my pc only to discover I'm still attached...   -_-"

They're not huge on the bass, but the mids are tight and the bass is punchy, and clearly audible on better recordings.

One warning I'll give though with these monitor style phones is that if some terrible recordings or encodes crop up in your playlist it may become unbearable - it's made those random black/death metal demos and b-sides become painful.

Grados would be solid. Which Grado depends on your budget, though.

i5 4670K | Noctua NH-D14 | Z87 Gryphon + Armor Kit | ASUS R9-280X | Corsair 350D | Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | XFX Black Edition 80+ Gold 750W | Dell P2314H 

Grados have zero bass. Maybe good for some older rock, but you need at least a little for most music.

I enjoy being able to clearly hear the bass drum (especially during the double pedal bits), so I think good bass is a must for me