What TYPE of headphones are best for rock?

Cs342

Hi guys, I listen to a lot of classic rock and heavy metal, and was wondering what type of headphones I should look into. Do I want bass-heavy headphones, balanced headphones, or something else? Feel free to suggest specific models but I am more curious about what type of sound signature I should be looking for and why. Thanks :)

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

"Bass-heavy" please no, that's not what defines good quality sound and definitely not for rock.

A headphone should produce both acoustic and deep frequencies to be a good pair of headphones.

"Bass-heavy" please no, that's not what defines good quality sound and definitely not for rock.

A headphone should produce both acoustic and deep frequencies to be a good pair of headphones.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 428 headphones and the lack of bass makes the music sound very tinny and void of power. That is why I have always preferred a slight emphasis on bass :P However, my current Sony XB600 headphones and JVC Xtreme Xplosives IEMs do tend to overpower the mids and highs with their bass, which is why I am asking what type of sound signature I should be looking for. Neither flat nor bass-heavy seems to be doing my music justice.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 428 headphones and the lack of bass makes the music sound very tinny and void of power. That is why I have always preferred a slight emphasis on bass :P However, my current Sony XB600 headphones and JVC Xtreme Xplosives IEMs do tend to overpower the mids and highs with their bass, which is why I am asking what type of sound signature I should be looking for. Neither flat nor bass-heavy seems to be doing my music justice.

Beats By Dre :')

Beats By Dre :')

No.

No.

Just kidding, but Audio Technica has alot of bass-heavy nice headphones which are also affordable.

Just kidding, but Audio Technica has alot of bass-heavy nice headphones which are also affordable.

Does the bass overpower the other frequencies? BY the way I am more interesting in IEMs at the moment, so if you have any suggestions please let me know

AKG K518 DJ are awesome street phones with good sound and nice comfort. I just listen to rock and metall so I know they are great for your taste :)

I wouldn't say there are headphones "designed" for specific genres, BUT CHC Silverado's are apparently amazing for rock and metal. In some hours, I may be able to confirm it or not, probably picking them up later today! 

But I'd rather just figure out what sort of sound you like, myself I prefer a slightly warm sound, but otherwise balanced and detailed, like the SRH440 with 840 pads I use daily. All my headphones sound great for everything, really. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I am more curious about what type of sound signature I should be looking for and why. 

Whatever makes you involuntarily smile while listening to a song.

*7506/V6 apply, but because I like them I can't recommend them*

Grados and hd380 Pro's would be solid options.

I've had a good rock experience with my M50's though some of the options from Beyerdynamic might be better because they are open back solutions.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Hi guys, I listen to a lot of classic rock and heavy metal, and was wondering what type of headphones I should look into. Do I want bass-heavy headphones, balanced headphones, or something else? Feel free to suggest specific models but I am more curious about what type of sound signature I should be looking for and why. Thanks :)

I'm not sure I'd say a specific kind of headphone is particularly good for a specific genre, except maybe that something with good clamping force (or a firm fit for an in-ear) would be best if you tend to groove along with the music.

Sound signature is pretty personal. I find something with good bass extension and a solid high makes rock sound more 'alive'.

What's your budget? The Sennheiser HD-25-I II's are very solid headphones and you can usually find them for about $170 or there abouts. They're built extremely well and have pretty good bass extension. Shure would be another one that sits on the warmer side of neutral, so I've heard. Those are a bit more protable and range from $100 and up.

If you can't afford more expensive headphones I'd say look for some in the on-ear or over-ear range as most cheaper in-ears tend to really lack in bass quality.

Oh, another good example of something that's not terribly expensive but an amazing headphone is Grado's SR60. Less than $100 and sound as good as cans that cost twice that.

If your budget is more flexible I'd be happy to jump in with more recommendations.

having only listened to my ad700's and not grados I like "strummy" "stringy" songs on my open backed headphone and slammy impactful tunes on closed back headphones. but yeah... +1 for the grados

I'm not sure I'd say a specific kind of headphone is particularly good for a specific genre, except maybe that something with good clamping force (or a firm fit for an in-ear) would be best if you tend to groove along with the music.

Sound signature is pretty personal. I find something with good bass extension and a solid high makes rock sound more 'alive'.

What's your budget? The Sennheiser HD-25-I II's are very solid headphones and you can usually find them for about $170 or there abouts. They're built extremely well and have pretty good bass extension. Shure would be another one that sits on the warmer side of neutral, so I've heard. Those are a bit more protable and range from $100 and up.

If you can't afford more expensive headphones I'd say look for some in the on-ear or over-ear range as most cheaper in-ears tend to really lack in bass quality.

Oh, another good example of something that's not terribly expensive but an amazing headphone is Grado's SR60. Less than $100 and sound as good as cans that cost twice that.

If your budget is more flexible I'd be happy to jump in with more recommendations.

My budget is around $100. I am looking for either IEMs or portable headphones (not huge studio headphones that I can't take with me on car/busrides) :)

My budget is around $100. I am looking for either IEMs or portable headphones (not huge studio headphones that I can't take with me on car/busrides) :)

I hear J33 IEMs are pretty good and they're around $50. Don't have personal experiance though. Although, CHC Silverados are a compelling option since they're $99 on Amazon again if you are willing to sacrifice the portability. 

I hear J33 IEMs are pretty good and they're around $50. Don't have personal experiance though. Although, CHC Silverados are a compelling option since they're $99 on Amazon again if you are willing to sacrifice the portability.

They're still portable! Isolation is good to.

They're small over-ears tho.

Are they? They look big in the pictures. Interesting. I was really tempted at buying them but I already have 2 pairs of headphones so I can't really justify it haha. 

Shure SE215. They have solid reproduction, the bass isn't terrible, and you can get Comply Foam tips for them which makes them both very comfy and have good isolation. Bonus points? Pretty much the cheapest IEM you can buy with a removable cable too, which saves you from having to toss the entire thing if you break them.

Shure SE215. They have solid reproduction, the bass isn't terrible, and you can get Comply Foam tips for them which makes them both very comfy and have good isolation. Bonus points? Pretty much the cheapest IEM you can buy with a removable cable too, which saves you from having to toss the entire thing if you break them.

second on the se215

I've tried the SE215 in-store. I could not get them to fit my ears due to the wear shape, and as a result I couldnt tell how they sound