x1-x16 risers not working in x1 slots

I have these powered risers: http://cryptomining-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/pci-express-x1-x16-usb-30-extender-580x379.jpg

In an x16 slot, everything works fine.

In an x1 slot, cgminer hangs/crashes.

I've attempted the A1-B17 shorting, but that does nothing.

I've tried 2 motherboards; Gigabyte a75-d3h and Asus e45m1-m pro. Neither have any BIOS settings regarding the PCIe that are worth noting.

All drivers and BIOS are updated.

My only conclusion is that it's a motherboard limitation.

Has anyone encountered this issue and solved it?

Have you shorted every single 1x slot?

What cards and how many? What power supply do you have?

Have you shorted every single 1x slot?

What cards and how many? What power supply do you have?

What would shorting every single x1 slot accomplish?

I'm obviously testing with 1 card and how would the power supply be relevant? Like I said, it works when the riser is in the x16 slot, just not the x1 slot.

Stupid question but here goes something:

Did you power the risers? 

Make sure there are no switches on the risers themselves

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

What would shorting every single x1 slot accomplish?

I'm obviously testing with 1 card and how would the power supply be relevant? Like I said, it works when the riser is in the x16 slot, just not the x1 slot.

Sorry, just a default question I suppose. That being said, many times you need to short every 1x slot on the mobo for it to recognize anything in a 1x slot. The few that I've tried have been that way. It's worth a shot.

First off, wow - I have never seen a riser like that, with the USB connector.

If running on a X1 slot, does the video card at least work? And just crashes/dies when actually mining?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

First off, wow - I have never seen a riser like that, with the USB connector.

If running on a X1 slot, does the video card at least work? And just crashes/dies when actually mining?

It's detected, it just can't mine. When I attempt to, cgminer either crashes, hangs, or the AMD driver fails and recovers itself.

This might ge irrelevant but what card are you using?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

It's detected, it just can't mine. When I attempt to, cgminer either crashes, hangs, or the AMD driver fails and recovers itself.

Have you tested this with a "standard" ribbon style pin-to-pin riser to see if these result in the same issue?

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

I have seen that AMD error on my laptop as well - AMD Driver has crashed and recovered crap - I assume you are running windows 8 or 8.1?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Try  LTC-BAMT?

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9