Game streaming question

Idk9855

Does game streaming over your local network require having good internet from your isp

1 minute ago, Idk9855 said:

Does game streaming over your local network require having good internet from your isp

No, since it's happening over your local network, not over the Internet.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

No, since it's happening over your local network, not over the Internet.

How can I prove that that is the case

Just now, Idk9855 said:

How can I prove that that is the case

Look at the bandwidth-usage.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Look at the bandwidth-usage.

Huh I guess it's just inconsistent wifi. That's probably my problem.

7 minutes ago, Idk9855 said:

game streaming over your local network require having good internet from your isp

u mean from one device to another in the same house?

that does not involve your internet

but it does require you to have a decently good router for it to work well, because you'll need decent speed to get decent fps and clarity

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

u mean from one device to another in the same house?

that does not involve your internet

but it does require you to have a decently good router for it to work well, because you'll need decent speed to get decent fps and clarity

I have this router https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R8000.aspx i think it is good enough for game streaming

I have this router https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R8000.aspx i think it is good enough for game streaming

also depends on the signal strength if you're using wifi

and the streaming PC have to be decently strong enough to encode the stream too

Nothing wrong with the router, but you still need good WiFi-connection on any of the streaming-hosts and -clients as well.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Nothing wrong with the router, but you still need good WiFi-connection on any of the streaming-hosts and -clients as well.

I am using this adapter for my pc https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCE-AC55BT/ also I have a ryzen 5 2600 and a rx 5700. Also for the other end I am using a oculus quest with radeon relive

You have to remember that unlike wired LAN / Ethernet, Wifi is not a Duplex signal. It does not send and receive at the same time. If you have too many devices on the wireless network things can get congested. Your best bet is to hardwire as many of the devices as possible

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

Just now, Idk9855 said:

I am using this adapter for my pc https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCE-AC55BT/ also I have a ryzen 5 2600 and a rx 5700. Also for the other end I am using a oculus quest

hmm... im not too familiar with streaming from PC to oculus quest but sounds like the bandwidth needed is super high for decent VR experience... and im not sure if your PC is using CPU or GPU encode

Ill just try using ethernet with my pc and see if that helps 

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

hmm... im not too familiar with streaming from PC to oculus quest but sounds like the bandwidth needed is super high for decent VR experience... and im not sure if your PC is using CPU or GPU encode

Assuming OP is using Steam, Steam uses GPU-encoding by default.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Assuming OP is using Steam, Steam uses GPU-encoding by default.

There is a app on sidequest called radeon relive https://sdq.st/a/1297. I just open the app on my quest and then click the game that i want to play on steam and than it just works from there so I guess it is using gpu encoding because of steam

There is a app on sidequest called radeon relive https://sdq.st/a/1297. I just open the app on my quest and then click the game that i want to play on steam and than it just works from there so I guess it is using gpu encoding because of steam

Radeon Relive also uses GPU-encoding, yes.

Radeon Relive also uses GPU-encoding, yes.

I think a rx 5700 can handle encoding stuff. ill try ueing ethernet on my pc and see if that helps

4 minutes ago, Idk9855 said:

I think a rx 5700 can handle encoding stuff. ill try ueing ethernet on my pc and see if that helps

it's not the best encoder, but at high bit rate it doesnt really matter much i guess