Which is the IR filter?

I am trying to see IR light with my camera to have a night vision camera to see in the dark.
Does anyone know which is the IR filter?

Spoiler
Spoiler

E75798C7-B6F4-4824-A4B7-6943C484B6F8.jpeg

0701BA92-75BF-445B-A1AA-5E68AAD6D822.jpeg

D7C6B518-742F-4FA3-8054-FD13FFF9C6E5.jpeg

I thought cameras don't have ir filters and they can easily see that spectrum.

to test: press a button on a remote like for TVs and see if you can see a flash through the camera. 

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

to test: press a button on a remote like for TVs and see if you can see a flash through the camera. 

I can see the flash. I wasn't sure if I could see more IR by removing a filter.

4 minutes ago, Saksham said:

Did I waste my time taking my camera apart?

Just now, fpo said:

Did I waste my time taking my camera apart?

maybe. it could be that there is an IR filter that only block part of the spectrum but I have no info on that. probably contact the camera manufacturer to find more information about this. I would imagine there is at least some filter otherwise it would be picking up lots of other light waves. 

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

maybe. it could be that there is an IR filter that only block part of the spectrum but I have no info on that. probably contact the camera manufacturer to find more information about this. I would imagine there is at least some filter otherwise it would be picking up lots of other light waves. 

Do you think I could convert this to a night vision camera by just getting some IR lights?

Just now, fpo said:

Do you think I could convert this to a night vision camera by just getting some IR lights?

not a camera expert... but maybe?

Just now, Saksham said:

not a camera expert... but maybe?

I'll try it. I want to see if I can put this camera back together & have it work.

24 minutes ago, fpo said:

I don't think you would be able to see in night vision just by putting IR lights on it. I think you need to remove the filter as well otherwise the IR light won't make it to the sensor. IDK which one it is tho. It should look like a colored piece of transparent plastic/glass

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Alright, I got it together but I have a few extra pieces. I'll see what I can do for IR lighting to see if that'll work.

If not, then I'll take it apart again & see if I can get some off of it.

9 hours ago, fpo said:

Alright, I got it together but I have a few extra pieces. I'll see what I can do for IR lighting to see if that'll work.

If not, then I'll take it apart again & see if I can get some off of it.

This may (or may not!) be of some use to you

https://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 8/5/2020 at 6:48 AM, Radium_Angel said:

This may (or may not!) be of some use to you

https://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials

Wow..! Hard pass on doing that myself lol

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

5 hours ago, Action_Johnson said:

Wow..! Hard pass on doing that myself lol

Yeah, it's involved. But life pixel have good prices and I can vouch for the quality of their work.If you are looking to get into IR photography, they are the go-to people for it.

The attached image, for example, from a Canon 10D converted by them.

CRW_1379.jpg

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I can't see if there is an IR filter in the images in the post, but look immediately in front for the sensor for a blue-ish piece of glass. If you see it, that's it. There might be other versions that look different, but it will typically be right in front of the sensor and have some colour effect to it, especially if you reflect light off at an angle.

Note the filters aren't all or nothing, but remove a significant amount of IR. So that you can see an IR remote light up doesn't mean no filter, just that even after a possible filter there's enough left over to detect. It doesn't need to remove it totally, just remove enough for the camera to produce normal looking results in normal use.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible