Need recommendations for a router & modem as Xfinity is telling me my current one is no longer fast enough?

BlindGuyPCs

Title. 

Basically today I was trying to play Trivial Pursuit with some friends, and my internet started to die. I checked their site, and it told me I needed to upgrade as my modem,/router combo couldn't keep up, despite the fact that we've managed to keep up for the past year with no changes to our speeds. My speed has decreased from 100 MBytes to maybe 39 mBytes according to speedtest.net

We currently have a Motorola MG7550, and we only use that and a switch for our network. We pay for 1 gigabit internet atm, and it hasn't changed 

Thanks for the help. 

3 minutes ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

MG7550,

Ummmmmm. Well this is not rated for Gigabit. You need a Docsis 3.1 modem. Any should do fine. I can guarantee you were not get anything close to a Gigabit on this guy EVER. Furthermore I would suggest a separate modem and router. These all in one units are generally crap. Router wise well that going to be tricky. because you need one rated for Gigabit internet. Even if a router has a Gigabit WAN port, it doesn't mean it can do Gigabit NAT. Do you have some kind of budget in mind? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

First of all even if your modem is out of date it won't cause you to slow down over time.  You just won't be able to get all the speed you are paying for.  I would try to call and get a service appointment scheduled.  

2 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

First of all even if your modem is out of date it won't cause you to slow down over time.  You just won't be able to get all the speed you are paying for.  I would try to call and get a service appointment scheduled.  

There no point. His modem is not rated for Gigabit service. Xfinity requires a Docsis 3.1 modem for Gigabit internet. Replace the modem and the speed will return. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Ummmmmm. Well this is not rated for Gigabit. You need a Docsis 3.1 modem. Any should do fine. I can guarantee you were not get anything close to a Gigabit on this guy EVER. Furthermore I would suggest a separate modem and router. These all in one units are generally crap. Router wise well that going to be tricky. because you need one rated for Gigabit internet. Even if a router has a Gigabit WAN port, it doesn't mean it can do Gigabit NAT. Do you have some kind of budget in mind? 

To be entirely honest I thought the description said 1gigabit, oh well.

We don't have a good price estimate in mind atm, but I think roughly 309 sounds about what we have to spend on networking stuff. 

5 minutes ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

To be entirely honest I thought the description said 1gigabit, oh well.

We don't have a good price estimate in mind atm, but I think roughly 309 sounds about what we have to spend on networking stuff. 

Looks like you can get a Docsis 3.1 modem for about $150 (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Docsis+3.1&ref=nb_sb_noss_2). Router wise that kinda up to you. Smallnetbuilder.com has some good stats on Routers, you would need to look for the WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN throughput, make sure its around a Gigabit and you should be good. I personally have the Synology RT2600AC, but its a $200 router, its rated for Gigabit internet, but you might be able to find something cheaper. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/#auth This link will take you to the Xfinity supported device list. From there it will give you a list of Docsis 3.1 devices that are supported. They have a pretty nice list. 

22 minutes ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

Title.

It's just their network most likely if it only started to slow down now.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

There no point. His modem is not rated for Gigabit service. Xfinity requires a Docsis 3.1 modem for Gigabit internet. Replace the modem and the speed will return.

Yes there is a point. 

13 minutes ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

My speed has decreased from 100 MBytes to maybe 39 mBytes according to speedtest.net

as long as you are using an ethernet connection to measure your speed you should still be getting faster speeds.  I can take a 8 channel docsis 3.0 modem provision it for 1 gig but it will only pull 150 Mbps.  The point is that it should be hitting the max speed rated for that modem.  Dropping from 100 all the way down to 39 there is probably an issue going on that needs to be looked at.

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

His modem is not rated for Gigabit service. Xfinity requires a Docsis 3.1 modem for Gigabit internet.

After any issues are resolved he could then either buy a modem that will meet those requirements or could drop down to a package to match their current equipment.

8 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

After any issues are resolved he could then either buy a modem that will meet those requirements or could drop down to a package to match their current equipment.

First thing they are going to see is a 16x4 modem. They will be like " You have the wrong modem sir, we can send you a rental DURRRRR". Because that how they do. Its always the customers owned modems fault for issue. The OP needs to get the right modem. For all you know he could have congested channels in his area, the OP could have Interference on his line, OR Xfinity could have sent the wrong config file to the modem, the have been known to do this from time to time. 

But I can say whole heartedly they will blame the current modem and refuse to send out a tech until that problem is resolved. Now you come back with the require equipment and still have an issue, THEN they will be willing to send out a tech.

11 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

I can take a 8 channel docsis 3.0 modem provision it for 1 gig but it will only pull 150 Mbps. 

I pull 260 Mbps on my 8 channel modem. Technically they will provision this for 200 Mbps service. Just saying. 

24 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Looks like you can get a Docsis 3.1 modem for about $150 (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Docsis+3.1&ref=nb_sb_noss_2). Router wise that kinda up to you. Smallnetbuilder.com has some good stats on Routers, you would need to look for the WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN throughput, make sure its around a Gigabit and you should be good. I personally have the Synology RT2600AC, but its a $200 router, its rated for Gigabit internet, but you might be able to find something cheaper. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/#auth This link will take you to the Xfinity supported device list. From there it will give you a list of Docsis 3.1 devices that are supported. They have a pretty nice list. 

Ok,.thanks! I did a bit of researching and found these two. According to smallnetbuilder the router seems to be pretty good for WAN-LAN-WAN, but I thought it might be a good idea to check here.

Also I apologise for second question, but is it a good idea to get a new repeater as well for the basement as that has had some slowdown as well or should I stick with just these two?

SmartSelect_20200804-182425_Amazon Shopping.jpg

4 minutes ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

new repeater

Repeaters are garbage in the best of circumstances. So I wouldn't waste any money. 

The router seems like it will work. BUT if you think you need more coverage down in the basement, what you might want to look for is an ASUS router that supports AI mesh. This way you can buy a modem and router today. Then if you decide you want to do the mesh, you can then just buy another compatible ASUS router that supports AI mesh. 

Now when you get the modem Id probably call in to activate it. They should push out a Config file to the new modem with the correct speed tier. Do a speed test with the tech on the phone. If it doesn't work as intended then you might need a truck roll. Needless to say your current modem is just not up to the Gigabit task, but you might also have other issues. 

27 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Repeaters are garbage in the best of circumstances. So I wouldn't waste any money. 

The router seems like it will work. BUT if you think you need more coverage down in the basement, what you might want to look for is an ASUS router that supports AI mesh. This way you can buy a modem and router today. Then if you decide you want to do the mesh, you can then just buy another compatible ASUS router that supports AI mesh. 

Now when you get the modem Id probably call in to activate it. They should push out a Config file to the new modem with the correct speed tier. Do a speed test with the tech on the phone. If it doesn't work as intended then you might need a truck roll. Needless to say your current modem is just not up to the Gigabit task, but you might also have other issues. 

Ok, thanks for all the help! Have a good one man