Hit the power button, computer loses power.

Jrmurdock99

I am in need of help. I'm very frustrated. Below are the build details and attached is a video of what happens.

I press the power button, and the computer loses all power. I reset the PSU and try again, same issue. I have stripped the computer down, removed all drives, removed the memory, removed the GPU. Dame thing happens every time.

This happened about 2 months ago and I replaced the PSU for the same model in white and when this happened, I swapped out the cables for the MoBo and CPU. I also sent the MoBo in for warranty repair and it was returned as having no issues. Upon rebuilding, everything worked perfectly for 2 weeks, now this issue which is similar, but cycling the PSU restores power to the MoBo.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Help help!

Build details.

AMD 3900x

X570 Master

GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Corsair rm750x

Sabret rocket 1TB

32gb Corsair ram

There are other drives, but all have been unplugged and the issue still occurs. Machine shouldn't be overloading the PSU.

Video:

https://youtu.be/sPkkIwCZJ5I

Hi the answer is that your new PSU is defective or you may have accidentally ordered a lower wattage PSU which isnt capable of handling your build. Most likely you have a defective PSU so you should return it and get a new one. 

4 minutes ago, Jrmurdock99 said:

This happened about 2 months ago and I replaced the PSU for the same model in white and when this happened, I swapped out the cables for the MoBo and CPU. I also sent the MoBo in for warranty repair and it was returned as having no issues. Upon rebuilding, everything worked perfectly for 2 weeks, now this issue which is similar, but cycling the PSU restores power to the MoBo.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Help help!

have you tried removing the CPU and powering it on? I'm not sure if there would be any reaction when pressing the button but it would at least tell you if the CPU is what's causing it, a loss of power that requires you to cycle the PSU indicates a Short Circuit Protection, somewhere in your system there is a short happening whenever you press the power button.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Running a CPU without a heatsink and fan plugged in is a very bad idea to begin with. Especially because you need some mounting pressure on that socket, even with pins. What PSU did you have and what do you have now?

2 minutes ago, Syn. said:

have you tried removing the CPU and powering it on? I'm not sure if there would be any reaction when pressing the button but it would at least tell you if the CPU is what's causing it, a loss of power that requires you to cycle the PSU indicates a Short Circuit Protection, somewhere in your system there is a short happening whenever you press the power button.

Oh and it could also be the fans/pump in your system, because the fans only initiate when you press the power button, remove all the fans and try again

6 minutes ago, Syn. said:

I did remove the CPU and nothing happens. MoBo gets no power without the CPU.

4 minutes ago, Syn. said:

Oh and it could also be the fans/pump in your system, because the fans only initiate when you press the power button, remove all the fans and try again

All fans are currently also disconnected 

7 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Running a CPU without a heatsink and fan plugged in is a very bad idea to begin with. Especially because you need some mounting pressure on that socket, even with pins. What PSU did you have and what do you have now?

Same PSU, only now in white instead of black. Both are 750w.

Oh, and I removed the heatsinks only to test if the machine would power on with fewer items needing power. If the machine had powered on, I would had shut it down instantly. 

12 minutes ago, TheGrandMaster said:

Hi the answer is that your new PSU is defective or you may have accidentally ordered a lower wattage PSU which isnt capable of handling your build. Most likely you have a defective PSU so you should return it and get a new one. 

I was afraid of this. I did purchase a UPS and it claims the PC is only drawing 350w under load. With a 750w PSU, I had thought there would be enough overhead. Machine was working fine until this morning.

I did remove the CPU and nothing happens. MoBo gets no power without the CPU.

3 minutes ago, Jrmurdock99 said:

All fans are currently also disconnected 

If you could borrow a CPU to test that would help narrow it down, because if it still doesn't work the only thing would be left unreplaced is the Motherboard since you disconnected everything connected to it

Though, are the case USB ports disconnected from the Motherboard as well? as well as any USB device connected from the back

1 minute ago, Jrmurdock99 said:

I was afraid of this. I did purchase a UPS and it claims the PC is only drawing 350w under load. With a 750w PSU, I had thought there would be enough overhead. Machine was working fine until this morning.

Oh geez yeah thats not good if its only drawing 350w under load but you could try and swap the power cord that goes into the wall that could be defective too maybe.

1 minute ago, Syn. said:

If you could borrow a CPU to test that would help narrow it down, because if it still doesn't work the only thing would be left unreplaced is the Motherboard since you disconnected everything connected to it

Though, are the case USB ports disconnected from the Motherboard as well? as well as any USB device connected from the back

Everything is disconnected. I also replaced the power code with a "better" cord, but even switching back to the cord that came with the PSU. Same issue.

Try with a different power supply, your motherboard is shutting down to protect itself, which is good. You can try to power up the system with a lower wattage psu if you have one around, just don't play any games with it. Your idle power draw should be fine with a 300 W psu for testing purposes.

There is no overload on the PSU especially since there is no GPU as well, 750W is plenty for the hardware you have, you said you replaced the PSU already so I would think the PSU is working fine

2 minutes ago, Syn. said:

MoBo went in for warranty testing and according to them, no issues with the MoBo

5 minutes ago, TheGrandMaster said:

Oh geez yeah thats not good if its only drawing 350w under load but you could try and swap the power cord that goes into the wall that could be defective too maybe.

Wait what? how is that not good? that's perfectly normal for a 3900X and a 2080 Super, it depends on the load he is putting on it but it should be around the ~400W range under full load

MoBo went in for warranty testing and according to them, no issues with the MoBo

If you trust their word for it and that they got it to power on normally then it's the CPU or potentially the PSU

13 minutes ago, Syn. said:

Wait what? how is that not good? that's perfectly normal for a 3900X and a 2080 Super, it depends on the load he is putting on it but it should be around the ~400W range under full load

Yeah, but that shouldn't blow 2 750 PSUs. Rig was built in December. First PSU died, I'm guessing, in May. After getting a new PSU and sending in the MoBo. I've only had it back up and gaming for 2 weeks. Perhaps the next step is to try a bigger PSU. /me shrugs.

Yeah, but that shouldn't blow 2 750 PSUs. Rig was built in December. First PSU died, I'm guessing, in May. After getting a new PSU and sending in the MoBo. I've only had it back up and gaming for 2 weeks. Perhaps the next step is to try a bigger PSU. /me shrugs.

Definitely don't try a bigger PSU 750W is already overkill for what you have, I would think there's another issue here if your PSUs keep dying, though it's weird to me since the RMx line has a lot of protections in-place and if there is anything that is faulty then it should detect them, it also has Overheating Protection and Overcurrent Protection so even if you were stressing the PSU then it would shut off due to overheating, but that's not the case, the RMx will handle the full 750W constant load with no issues but you're nowhere even near that.

12 minutes ago, Jrmurdock99 said:

Besides it's not even confirmed that your PSU is the issue, I don't know what happened before but I suggest you try your hardware on a different system if you have one, an RMx PSU will not go down that easily they're overbuilt and have a 10 year warranty for a reason

3 hours ago, Syn. said:

Besides it's not even confirmed that your PSU is the issue, I don't know what happened before but I suggest you try your hardware on a different system if you have one, an RMx PSU will not go down that easily they're overbuilt and have a 10 year warranty for a reason

I wish I could try this on another system, but I hadn't built a new PC in 15 years so the old one was way out of date. I, also, dont have anyone living near me that I know with a rig I could do some testing with. 

Hey all, im.now confident it isn't the PSU. I ordered a new PSU that just showed up. Plugged in only MoBo and CPU power, and same issue. Even though the MoBo was RMA'd, I think it is defective. Thoughts? I can return this PSU and order a new MoBo, it's just painful, but can be done.

Thank you for all the previous responses.

I think it's ram

Try with one stick and move it over

If that doesnt work try the other one

Again, thank you all for the suggestions. 

Replacing the PSU did not fix the issue. Though the mobo had been RMA'd and worked for a couple of weeks, I decided to get a new mobo to try. The machine is back up. I will be returning PSU #3 and wending the original mobo back in to get RMD'd.

I'm guessing something happened that took out the original PSU and mobo. At this point O am unsure. Before the first crash, I didn't have a UPS and I do now. Perhaps dirty power killed the system the first time.

/me shrugs.

All I know is I'm back up and running. GAME ON!