Dead Motherboard???

I built my first PC back in March, it was running like a dream up until today. I woke up in the middle of the night to find that my PC didnt hibernate/go to sleep. I usually just restart the PC that usually fixes it then I went back to sleep. 5 hours later I go to get on my PC to find that there were no lights on, no flickering, no MOBO lights  Nothing. It was like it was unplugged but it wasn't. I tried flipping on the PSU power switch on and off a few times and even unplugged it for a min. The PSU would not even turn over. I looked on the internet to see what the issue was and almost all sources said it might be the PSU acting up so I gave my PSU the old Paperclip test and it turned over. So I disassembled my PC so I can run a Benchmark. The PSU turned over on a Paperclip but not my motherboard even when everything but the CPU and ram were disconnected. Is it the Motherboard? Is it the RAM or CPU? Any help would be much appreciated. This is my First PC ever and I spent alot of money and I busted my @$$ for months grinding to get the parts

Parts List 

Case: NZXT H710

MOBO: x570 Aorus Master

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X

Heatsink: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT

PSU: EVGA G+ 850w 80+Gold

RAM: GSkill Trident Z RGB

Storage: SK Hynix Gold ssd 500gb and WD Black 6TB HDD

Your motherboard shouldn't of died from being on overnight, but it seems like a defect so you can probably get warranty to cover that.

8 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

Your motherboard shouldn't of died from being on overnight, but it seems like a defect so you can probably get warranty to cover that.

Damnit, that is what I was afraid of. Unfortunately I didnt get a warranty when I bought it and I built the PC piecemeal and the MOBO was the first component i bought and I bought it almost after x570 launched. I do know that technology, when brought really soon after launch date, the tech's possiblity of it being a lemon/faulty is significant. Could this be the reason?

12 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

The machine doesn't do anything. No beeps, LEDs or spinning fans.

1. Check if your power cable is firmly plugged in on both ends (you would be surprised how many issues this resolves)
  2. Check if the power supply (PSU) has a button to cut the power to the machine. Check if this button is in the position denoted with ON or I
  3. Check if EVERY power cable is plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  4. Check if the power button is installed correctly (consult your motherboard manual)
  5. Try shorting out the pins you connect the power button to manually. If this powers on your system, you have a faulty power button.
  6. Check with a device of which you know that it works if the power outlet you're using is actually providing power.

If this hasn't solved the problem, check if your PSU isn't dead. To do this, you can follow these steps:

1. Unplug your power cord and/or flip the switch on the back of the PSU in the position denoted with OFF or 0
  2. Unplug every connector coming from your PSU (this is very important)
  3. Using a bent paperclip, short out the green wire on the 24 pin header with any of the black wires, like so.
  4. If you have a PSU that shuts down its fan under low load, or a PSU that is fanless, connect something small like a hard drive to it.
  5. Plug in your power cord and/or flip the switch on the back of the PSU in the position denoted with ON or I

If the PSU does NOT power on (the fan/hard drive you connected should start spinning) after following these steps, your PSU is in all likelyhood defective. Request an RMA.

If the PSU DOES power on, then the problem is most likely your motherboard.

A lot of this stuff probably isn't applicable because you know that it worked before.

I pretty much did all of that. I I disassembled my entire PC and rebuilt it from the bottom up. I benched tested it outside the case and when the PSU was connected to the MOBO, the PSU would not even turn over. When the PSU was given the Paperclip test it turned over just fine. Could it be the PSU or the MOBO?

2 minutes ago, Darkness_Val said:

Unfortunately I didnt get a warranty when I bought it

Usually components come with a free limited warranty for 1 or 2 years that cover defective parts and since X570 only came out a year ago it should still be covered.

7 minutes ago, Darkness_Val said:

Damnit, that is what I was afraid of. Unfortunately I didnt get a warranty when I bought it and I built the PC piecemeal and the MOBO was the first component i bought and I bought it almost after x570 launched. I do know that technology, when brought really soon after launch date, the tech's possiblity of it being a lemon/faulty is significant. Could this be the reason?

Most every part has at least a 3 year warranty.... that said, we have no idea if there is actually an issue yet.

First thing to try and clear CMOS (this resets your BIOS). Very well may bring it back to working correctly.

After that if that doesn't work, we will have to try and actually figure out what is happening. Can test if the PSU is working as expected via jumping some pins to see if the fan starts spinning (assuming the PSU doesn't have a fanless mode...) can try and remove all but a single stick of RAM, try different RAM slots, eventually if nothing works you can try and reseat the CPU.

Basically, there are a lot of steps we need to go through first before we say "yup, bad mobo". This may have nothing at all to do with the mobo. I would definitely start with CMOS reset first.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

4 minutes ago, Darkness_Val said:

I pretty much did all of that. I I disassembled my entire PC and rebuilt it from the bottom up. I benched tested it outside the case and when the PSU was connected to the MOBO, the PSU would not even turn over. When the PSU was given the Paperclip test it turned over just fine. Could it be the PSU or the MOBO?

Oh, well in that case... hmm. It could be the mobo in that case. Try with a single stick of RAM, maybe in a different slot? 

Did you try to reset the BIOS though? Still... start there.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

15 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Oh, well in that case... hmm. It could be the mobo in that case. Try with a single stick of RAM, maybe in a different slot? 

Actually to tell you the truth, I did try to clear the CMOS via the boards "clear CMOS" button,  all before I posted this thread. Sorry I didnt mention earlier

19 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

Usually components come with a free limited warranty for 1 or 2 years that cover defective parts and since X570 only came out a year ago it should still be covered.

Really? I didnt buy the Asurion warranty from Amazon so do I get the warranty through Gigabyte?

2 minutes ago, Darkness_Val said:

Really? I didnt buy the Asurion warranty from Amazon so do I get the warranty through Gigabyte?

Correct. All the parts have at least a three year warranty. RAM is lifetime, most other things are 3. Some harddrives (pro level drives) are 5.

Have you tried different RAM in different slots? GPU in a different slot? Use a piece of metal to jump the power leads on the mobo instead of the case button on the off chance the case button dies on you (where the front panel connector connects for the power button on the mobo, pull that little plug out and use a screwdriver or something to jump it, I have had switches die on me....).

Update motherboard is firing up good as new. I removed the MOBO battery under the Graphics Card Port and left it out for about 5 mins. Popped the batter back in and placed the CPU and RAM and connected it to the PSU and the MOBO came back to life. On a side note. I left a scratch on the MOBO when I was trying to take out the GPU (I was trying to release the clasp holding the GPU in) they're the white streaks. And I did that with a butter knife. Should I be concerned? The smaller scratch has like a tiny spots of copper or bronze metal its shiny when the light is shined on it. That cant be good can it? Thanks for the help by the way to all of you on here

15963668024801487010715355435014.jpg