Pwm Fan Controller

KaareKanin

Does anyone know of a good PWM fan controller? I can't seem to find any... I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering to just make my own... it can't be that hard, now can it?

Swiftech have an 8 way splitter that you might want to look into. Just plug it into the motherboard as well as a spare molex power connector and control 8 fans off one connector..

I've made my own etching PCBs in my garage. It's a simple circuit but the more fans the more complicated. I'm controlling 12 fans right now through software I made on the chip (ATmega 2560) in c++ and python on the computer it's just a serial connection through usb with a gui.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Swiftech have an 8 way splitter that you might want to look into. Just plug it into the motherboard as well as a spare molex power connector and control 8 fans off one connector..

Hmm, it looks like a nice product and all, but I was thinking more of a sort of stand-alone controller. But if I'll have to make one myself, it might be a good place to start with butchering that one

I've made my own etching PCBs in my garage. It's a simple circuit but the more fans the more complicated. I'm controlling 12 fans right now through software I made on the chip (ATmega 2560) in c++ and python on the computer it's just a serial connection through usb with a gui.

Nice! My skills within these disciplines are a little limited, so programming-wise I didn't really imagine the possibility to tie in with the OS, and production-wise i might just end up using an avr Xplain board i have lying around (which, come to think of it, has USB on it). Maybe just un-split that swiftech splitter and tie it in with the whole setup as well. 

I think some planning is in order!

I've building pcbs for about 2 years now that was one of my first more advanced projects but something on a perfboard is definitely doable for your skill set. Check out hackaday and instructables for some inspiration.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

there kinda of a reason there are not many PWM fan controllers.

mostly under-volting them is terrible. linus' even commented

under-volting PWM is bad for the motor/circuitry. that the intention

of PWM was to let the PCB switching do the work and leave the voltage

input at static (12v). reducing the voltage develops un-needed heat and

reduces the relay performance.

buy 2-pin/3-pin fans and use a controller or allow a header to control PWM

using a swiftech fan block .

airdeano

just sayin.. it can be allot of fun to make your own ;P

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

I'm kinda expecting that it'll be fun to do my own, that's why i'm not sad there aren't any PWM controllers out there