Free Server Pc

So im pretty young and have been messing with pcs and such for about a year. Today my dad came home with a server pc that was given to him from work and it looks very well kept and almost new. Its a dell poweredge t320. does anybody have any insight on weather i could get good money from selling it (for personal rig upgrade) or if i could start building a home server for fun. I litterally have no idea what to do with this thing and throwing it on a forum felt like a good idea. 

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

well.. yes and no..

yes they're still pretty decent machines, but no.. there's so many of them out there that they're essentially valueless (supply and demand sort of deal), and they have a lot of downsides (power draw, sound level, odd layout, etc...) that make them less desirable than let's say a high end desktop.

Just now, mahyar said:

ram? cpu?

got it 5 minutes ago and im not sure what the company did with it before giving it away. looked at site and says its a xeon e5-2400 product family or xeon e5-1410. site was pretty vaugue about ram

what is on machine?

i read dells website

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Get a Xeon 2670v2 or better, a nice GPU, and you can play with it.

That server is not that old, and still can do some stuff.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

well.. yes and no..

yes they're still pretty decent machines, but no.. there's so many of them out there that they're essentially valueless (supply and demand sort of deal), and they have a lot of downsides (power draw, sound level, odd layout, etc...) that make them less desirable than let's say a high end desktop.

cool ill probobaly keep it and if i dont find a good use for it ill throw it on ebay and if i get nothing then ill se what i can do with.

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

what is on machine?

i read dells website

i answered under another post but tldr im not super sure

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Get a Xeon 2670v2 or better, a nice GPU, and you can play with it.

That server is not that old, and still can do some stuff.

i already have a decent setup but i could probably gift it if someone wanted somethjing to play on

2670 is more powerful that 7700 its a good cpu and that server can take up to 192GBs of ram!

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

build a minecraft server.

you can probably sell it in ebay for $300-500.

for a server it's still a good one, redundant psu, up to 10 cores.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

build a minecraft server.

you can probably sell it in ebay for $300-500.

for a server it's still a good one, redundant psu, up to 10 cores.

yeah i pay for a server rn so that was something i was thinking about.

ill probably throw it on ebay and see what happpens. i can probably get the higher end of it because it looks brand new.

i don't recommend using a server for desktop use for the shear fact that getting drivers is a pain.

sure you can load older drivers but they aren't fully compatible with more modern versions of windows.

case and point, my current server BSOD's when plex tries to transcode something.

i know it is a driver issue due to the DCP_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error code being displayed.

what device causes this issue i have no idea and i theroise that it's an integrated part of the system that i can't remove or disable because the device may be a core component of the system and can't be removed or disabled (such as the system firmware, which sometimes needs a driver for the OS to properly communicate with it)

it's annoying but thats the life of old server hardware, if you want to use it for either server or desktop tasks, either install a supported windows edition (Windows Server 2012 (not R2) is the latest version is the latest supported version) or install a server (or normal) linux distro (such as ubuntu server or arch linux (if you like getting down and dirty with Linux things...) ).

you probably will be better off parting the machine and selling the parts as replacements for other dell poweredge t320 units.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N