RAM running at under rated speeds

TheAndyPanda
Go to solution Solved by venturizhou,

There is no need to manually tweak. You just have to turn the profile on,

P5274469.jpg

Hi guys,

I built my first rig a couple months ago, and immediately had this problem, but as it wasn't bothering me I didn't bother to try and fix it until now.

I have a 2 x 8Gb 2133 MHz kit of Mushkin Blackline RAM, and an ASUS Sabertooth Z87 motherboard. I know the RAM is not technically supported, or at least is not in the manual, but it was a great deal so I decided to go with it. Right now it is running at 1600 MHz. Any ideas on how to get it to run up at 2133 MHz? I'm running windows 7 64 bit, and have a 4770k if that matters.

Thanks for any help guys :)

Go into your bios and turn up the Mhz speed to 1866 go by small increments and test for stability with memtest. Make sure the voltage is at the manufacturer default, and that you loosen timings as you turn up Mhz speed.

Be aware of diminishing returns of tightening timings and bumping up Mhz speeds.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

That's normal. The motherboard automatically runs the RAM at the speed that's supportet by all your parts. The CPU in this case doesn't 'support' it.

So you have to manually set the speed of your RAM in the BIOS, if you are brave and crazy enough to run your stuff at the speed that it's rated at. You insane litter h4xx0r you...  :P

who cares...

That's normal. The motherboard automatically runs the RAM at the speed that's supportet by all your parts. The CPU in this case doesn't 'support' it.

So you have to manually set the speed of your RAM in the BIOS, if you are brave and crazy enough to run your stuff at the speed that it's rated at. You insane litter h4xx0r you...  :P

Haswell can usually run 2666+ no problem. 

Haswell can usually run 2666+ no problem. 

Yes it can.

Intel just says it's not supported, so it's not their fault when you run into any issues when setting the speed higher.

who cares...

Your RAM should have an XMP Profile that you can directly set in bios. 

Ok so it sounds like I need to turn up the speed manually. No idea how to do that. Anyone have a link to a good tutorial? Also anything I have to watch out for?

Thanks again guys :)

There is no need to manually tweak. You just have to turn the profile on,

P5274469.jpg

There is no need to manually tweak. You just have to turn the profile on

Sweet thank you :)