Can i use only 2 rams sticks from a pack of 4?

Go to solution Solved by Mofty,

as long as they are the same model u shouldn't run into any compatibility issues 

Hi guys, 

So I've recently purchased 2 corsair vengeance rgb pro 8gb×2 3200MHz ram sticks (pre-owned). 

HOWEVER, they have arrived today and have found that they were actually 2 sticks from a pack of 4 (8gb×4 originally). 

Can these two alone work fine or will I loose ANY kind of performance or have compatability issues. 

(I'm only planning to use these 2 sticks and not buying any more). 

They have model numbers of: 

CMW32GX4M4C3200C16

While if you buy the two pack the number is CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 

I assume the difference is due to the quantity in a pack. 

I have attached photos. 

Let me know 

Thanks

IMG_20200726_005833.jpg

IMG_20200726_005813.jpg

IMG_20200726_005758.jpg

as long as they are the same model u shouldn't run into any compatibility issues 

1 minute ago, MkaiL said:

It makes zero difference, you'll get the same performance.

@MkaiL

Really? 

I'm only asking as people online have advised even against using same ram but from different boxes and said ram is picky with compatability etc etc 

I'm a noob so just asking :)

Just now, Mofty said:

Yeah they are i think @Mofty

26 minutes ago, JellyBurger676 said:

@MkaiL

Really? 

I'm only asking as people online have advised even against using same ram but from different boxes and said ram is picky with compatability etc etc 

I'm a noob so just asking :)

But yours come from a set of 4 that have been tested and are known to work well together (not that it even matters, you can just add another 2x8gb kit later if you want). The fact that you'll only use 2 of the kit makes no difference, unless you have a HEDT or TR system with a quad channel motherboard (not to be confused with 4 dimm slots, which is dual channel). Make sure to utilize the correct dimm slots to enable dual channel configuration and you'll be good to go (check the manual but it's usually the 2nd and 4th slot). Don't forget to enable XMP, DOCP, ... (whatever it's called in your bios) otherwise your sticks will run at default speeds instead of 3200mhz.

54 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

But yours come from a set of 4 that have been tested and are known to work well together (not that it even matters, you can just add another 2x8gb kit later if you want). The fact that you'll only use 2 of the kit makes no difference, unless you have a HEDT or TR system with a quad channel motherboard (not to be confused with 4 dimm slots, which is dual channel). Make sure to utilize the correct dimm slots to enable dual channel configuration and you'll be good to go (check the manual but it's usually the 2nd and 4th slot). Don't forget to enable XMP, DOCP, ... (whatever it's called in your bios) otherwise your sticks will run at default speeds instead of 3200mhz.

Thanks this is very useful piece of information :)