FPS spike drops from 144 to 1 for 2-3secs every 1-2mins everywhere

Go to solution Solved by Luigimon,

I was able to fix it after reading a lot of forums, one of them were saying that it have background images as SlideShow every 1 min, which is exactly how I had it. Believe it or not, I changed it to 1 day and I no longer have fps drops in my games.

So I'm an old subscriber on LinusTech Tips youtube channel and I know you guys rock on this type of things, so I'll really appreciate if you could help me to identify why do I have this huge problem on my mostly new setup.

I've been struggling since a couple of months ago trying to fix this issue and now I'm on a dead end, because I've pretty much changed all my hardware except for the hard drives and GPU, I took my pc to a computer shop after this problem began due to an electricity outage on my house so they could find the root cause, but at the end they told me that gpu wasn't the problem because they tested it in another pc and it worked fine so that let me on the PSU or Mobo/Cpu they didn’t have a mobo/cpu to test so that left me to change the PSU but same problem, then I changed the mobo, cpu and ram a week ago but still same problem, I also bought an m2 which will arrive on Tuesday because right now I have an SSD and I'm not sure if may be damaged.

I have posted some videos on these links to show how exactly my fps issue is showing in any game (Including windows when using a browser or any other application):

SOT: https://youtu.be/eICdwZoSG9M

Lol #1: https://youtu.be/VYKjQs4lv40

Lol #2: https://youtu.be/VSHNfADbAH4

This is what I've done so far trying to fix this:
1- Uninstall all video drivers using DDU and reinstalling.
2- Going back to a previous nvidia driver.
3- Sfc scan, defragmentation, disck checkUps.
4- Replacing cables from/to psu
5- Fresh clean install of windows.
6- Tested other games and they do have the same problem
7- Even in windows when I'm typing this post there are some little freeze spikes where it doesn't show what I'm typing until a couple seconds later.
8- Video benchmarking using FurMark & Unigine Heaven Benchmark, no issues at all it never goes down to 30-40fps on extreme graphics, 50-60fps on ultra.
9- Replace mobo, cpu and ram.
10- All heating temperatures doesn't go beyond 60C (Cpu, ram, gpu, mobo, chipset)

I think that's pretty much it, I have no more ideas on what to do to fix this. Does anyone have experienced/solved a problem like this?

These are my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz
MotherBoard: ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
GPU: Asus Rog Strix RTX2060 6G
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200mhz
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2
SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q, 27-Inch, G-Sync 144hz (DisplayPort)
Windows 10 Pro

Thank you so much, for any help you could provide :S

Is XMP/DOCP enabled?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS of your motherboard?

Have you monitored it with something like rivatuner to see if the GPU is down clocking?

1 minute ago, gloop said:

Is XMP/DOCP enabled?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS of your motherboard?

When I installed my new mobo I did enable it to reach the 3200mhz, but after some thoughts I preferred to restore it as default. So its disabled

Mmm no I didn't try it because you know, is a brand new motherboard which arrived like a week ago, I literally just unboxed and installed it right away.

Just now, Luigimon said:

When I installed my new mobo I did enable it to reach the 3200mhz, but after some thoughts I preferred to restore it as default. So its disabled

This is the issue. 

Ryzen CPUs will suffer massively if they have speeds less than 3000MHz. Enable XMP and then see if the issue remains. 

6 minutes ago, Tomthehitman said:

Have you monitored it with something like rivatuner to see if the GPU is down clocking?

I do have GPU Tweak 2 for monitoring, but honestly I don't know how to validate down clocking :s

2 minutes ago, gloop said:

This is the issue. 

Ryzen CPUs will suffer massively if they have speeds less than 3000MHz. Enable XMP and then see if the issue remains. 

Oh ok I didn't know that, I'll try it right away and let you know in a couple of mins.

13 minutes ago, gloop said:

This is the issue. 

Alright, I have enable the DCOP, which is the XMP from intel and now ram is on 3200mhz, but it still have the issue, fps go down from 144 to 50-60 randomly, I know this happens during a short time and after an hour it start to become worse.

1 hour ago, Luigimon said:

So I'm an old subscriber on LinusTech Tips youtube channel and I know you guys rock on this type of things, so I'll really appreciate if you could help me to identify why do I have this huge problem on my mostly new setup.

I've been struggling since a couple of months ago trying to fix this issue and now I'm on a dead end, because I've pretty much changed all my hardware except for the hard drives and GPU, I took my pc to a computer shop after this problem began due to an electricity outage on my house so they could find the root cause, but at the end they told me that gpu wasn't the problem because they tested it in another pc and it worked fine so that let me on the PSU or Mobo/Cpu they didn’t have a mobo/cpu to test so that left me to change the PSU but same problem, then I changed the mobo, cpu and ram a week ago but still same problem, I also bought an m2 which will arrive on Tuesday because right now I have an SSD and I'm not sure if may be damaged.

I have posted some videos on these links to show how exactly my fps issue is showing in any game (Including windows when using a browser or any other application):

SOT: https://youtu.be/eICdwZoSG9M

Lol #1: https://youtu.be/VYKjQs4lv40

Lol #2: https://youtu.be/VSHNfADbAH4

This is what I've done so far trying to fix this:
1- Uninstall all video drivers using DDU and reinstalling.
2- Going back to a previous nvidia driver.
3- Sfc scan, defragmentation, disck checkUps.
4- Replacing cables from/to psu
5- Fresh clean install of windows.
6- Tested other games and they do have the same problem
7- Even in windows when I'm typing this post there are some little freeze spikes where it doesn't show what I'm typing until a couple seconds later.
8- Video benchmarking using FurMark & Unigine Heaven Benchmark, no issues at all it never goes down to 30-40fps on extreme graphics, 50-60fps on ultra.
9- Replace mobo, cpu and ram.
10- All heating temperatures doesn't go beyond 60C (Cpu, ram, gpu, mobo, chipset)

I think that's pretty much it, I have no more ideas on what to do to fix this. Does anyone have experienced/solved a problem like this?

These are my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz
MotherBoard: ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
GPU: Asus Rog Strix RTX2060 6G
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200mhz
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2
SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q, 27-Inch, G-Sync 144hz (DisplayPort)
Windows 10 Pro

Thank you so much, for any help you could provide :S

I've had this problem but this only occurs to me on my old HDD, microstutters very often no matter what game, but if I move it onto my SSD, it's fixed completely and no microstutters. It might be a faulty SSD? Try switching it to the M2 you have coming soon and see if that fixes it

I was able to fix it after reading a lot of forums, one of them were saying that it have background images as SlideShow every 1 min, which is exactly how I had it. Believe it or not, I changed it to 1 day and I no longer have fps drops in my games.