Do I have to re-paste the block?

Yeah, probably do the paste. I mean there's enough there, but that hole will trap air and we don't want that hot spot if possible.

Hopefully you have some decent paste laying around?

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yeah, probably do the paste. I mean there's enough there, but that hole will trap air and we don't want that hot spot if possible.

Hopefully you have some decent paste laying around?

I don’t have any paste laying around or could I put it on and take it off and see if it filled in?

Just now, TheBeast108 said:

I don’t have any paste laying around or could I put it on and take it off and see if it filled in?

If you put it on, secure it and just use it then. I'm 90+ % sure it'll be ok because you have 90 + % paste there.

Since you don't have the paste, Go for it. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

If you put it on, secure it and just use it then. I'm 90+ % sure it'll be ok because you have 90 + % paste there.

Since you don't have the paste, Go for it. 

Is it bad to put it on then take it off? I’ve heard mixed thoughts on it

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

No need to repaste.
The hole won't trap any air.

Alright, if I wanted to check though, is it bad to put it on and take it off to check as I’ve heard mixed thoughts?

3 minutes ago, TheBeast108 said:

Is it bad to put it on then take it off? I’ve heard mixed thoughts on it

Yes and no. trapping air just isn't a good thing when you seperate it then put back together, it'll trap air. Air is horrible at thermal conductivity. You really want none.

So, when you put the cooler on, just fasten it down and use it. 

But, you can take it off if you want to look at it. It's your's.

However, I'd say pick up a tube of thermal paste before you remove it so you have it on hand.

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

No need to repaste.
The hole won't trap any air.

Uhhh, it's a hole in the paste..... what do you think fills the hole if the paste isn't there?? Dark matter? lol XD

Just now, TheBeast108 said:

Alright, if I wanted to check though, is it bad to put it on and take it off to check as I’ve heard mixed thoughts?

It's not bad, but it won't make it any better either. I've done it multiple times and so far it has always worked out just fine.
I recommend you simply put the cooler on and run a stresstest  to see what the temperatures are like.

Then you could come back to the forum and ask whether the temps are fine or not, if you're unsure.

Just now, Senzelian said:

It's not bad, but it won't make it any better either. I've done it multiple times and so far it has always worked out just fine.
I recommend you simply put the cooler on and run a stresstest  to see what the temperatures are like.

Then you could come back to the forum and ask whether the temps are fine or not, if you're unsure.

Alright. Thank you both, it can’t be as bad as hitting 97 C once on my laptop 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Uhhh, it's a hole in the paste..... what do you think fills the hole if the paste isn't there?? Dark matter? lol XD

Thermal paste fills the hole. The same way it fills tiny cracks in the IHS and coldplate.

That's what the pressure is for and the additional heat will only help the process.

But if you find a way to cool a CPU with dark matter, or even better, if you find dark matter, tell me. ;)

Just now, Senzelian said:

Thermal paste fills the hole. The same way it fills tiny cracks in the IHS and coldplate.

That's what the pressure is for and the additional heat will only help the process.

I'd re-paste it.

Use it for now, take it off later and use something that's got better thermal conductivity.

Tiny cracks you need a magnifying glass to see and a 1/8th inch hole are two different things. This looks like it'll trap a tiny pocket of air.

What can happen, not saying going to happen, is that hot spot will start baking the paste at that hole. I've seen this before on a few occasions. Generally I receive this hardware cause I often buy used.

You'd be surprised. But in most cases that's after long term use, not a few days.

If you're putting it on a CPU it should be fine thanks to the IHS.

But I'd still consider getting some paste with your next order and repasting it anyway, since you never know how long this preapplied paste sat in a warehouse, aging and drying out.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

8 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

If you're putting it on a CPU it should be fine thanks to the IHS.

But I'd still consider getting some paste with your next order and repasting it anyway, since you never know how long this preapplied paste sat in a warehouse, aging and drying out.

Will do

20 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

But if you find a way to cool a CPU with dark matter, or even better, if you find dark matter, tell me. ;)

I just put it on, while I was putting it on the thumb screw came loose and the loop screw came off so I was forced to take it off, I did get it on, but do I screw it down until it’s really tight, or so I do it until it’s snug?

16 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'd re-paste it.

Use it for now, take it off later and use something that's got better thermal conductivity.

Tiny cracks you need a magnifying glass to see and a 1/8th inch hole are two different things. This looks like it'll trap a tiny pocket of air.

What can happen, not saying going to happen, is that hot spot will start baking the paste at that hole. I've seen this before on a few occasions. Generally I receive this hardware cause I often buy used.

You'd be surprised. But in most cases that's after long term use, not a few days.

Will it be fine for a week or so? I need to order a lighting node pro so I might aswell order it with that.

1 minute ago, TheBeast108 said:

I just put it on, while I was putting it on the thumb screw came loose and the loop screw came off so I was forced to take it off, I did get it on, but do I screw it down until it’s really tight, or so I do it until it’s snug?

Would you mind taking a picture of the part you took off?

I believe you've not told us yet which specific AIO you're using, but on most coolers you tighten it until the thread stops and there are springs that relieve and balance the pressure.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett

1 minute ago, TheBeast108 said:

Lets assume you bought a decent quality cooler, then you can simply screw them down as far as they will go.

2 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

Would you mind taking a picture of the part you took off?

I believe you've not told us yet which specific AIO you're using, but on most coolers you tighten it until the thread stops and there are springs that relieve and balance the pressure.

Oh yes, it’s the Corsair H100i SE

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Lets assume you bought a decent quality cooler, then you can simply screw them down as far as they will go.

Alright. I didn’t know if I was going too tight or something

2 minutes ago, TheBeast108 said:

Oh yes, it’s the Corsair H100i SE

Looking at the manual, you can tighten the thumbscrew with a Phillips screwdriver and it should be safe to go until it stops turning (don't go so hard on it that you damage the screw, obviously).

3 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

Looking at the manual, you can tighten the thumbscrew with a Phillips screwdriver and it should be safe to go until it stops turning (don't go so hard on it that you damage the screw, obviously).

Alright, thank you

17 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I ran into this problem, I need a 4 pin connector for the cpu, I do have another cpu cable that seems like I can split it in the middle, or do I even need to do this?

https://imgur.com/gallery/B8HLK8Z

On 7/25/2020 at 5:20 PM, TheBeast108 said:

I ran into this problem, I need a 4 pin connector for the cpu, I do have another cpu cable that seems like I can split it in the middle, or do I even need to do this?

https://imgur.com/gallery/B8HLK8Z

You can split the cable.
Sometimes you can also get away with not splitting the cable and simply leave the other 4 pins overhang the connector.