CPU + Motherboard upgrade. (And Case and PSU)

Hey guys,

My little brother needs to upgrade. He has a i7 860 now with a very crap motherboard.

His budget is 400-450 euro WITH a new case + PSU.

He now has:

- 8gb ram @1600mHz

- 1TB HDD @7200RPM

- DVD writer

- MSI 7750 GPU.

What he will do:

- Gaming

- Rendering video's.

He WANTS a windowed case + plus a color scheme, he prefers blue.

What is a nice option? 

We are buying from www.alternate.nl and www.azery.nl

Thanks

With that budget he won't be able to upgrade really. The i7-860 isn't that bad of a chip, and if you minus the cost of case + psu alone he won't be in a budget to get a nice CPU + MoBo combination. I suggest he leaves the CPU and MB and saves up a little bit.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Hey guys,

My little brother needs to upgrade. He has a i7 860 now with a very crap motherboard.

He now has:

- 8gb ram @1600mHz

- 1TB HDD @7200RPM

- DVD writer

- MSI 7750 GPU.

What he will do:

- Gaming

- Rendering video's.

What is a nice option? 

Thanks

I'd upgrade the GPU more than anything in that rig.

Something like a 280X will do nicely (or 770). Get a Carbide 300R if he needs a decent windowed case.

Hey guys,

He now has:

- 8gb ram @1600mHz

- 1TB HDD @7200RPM

- DVD writer

- MSI 7750 GPU.

What he will do:

- Gaming

- Rendering video's.

What is a nice option? 

Thanks

Does he really need to upgrade his PSU and case? What PSU and Case does he have?

just get a better gpu 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

The i7 860 is still a good cpu, and there are no more 1156 motherboards available. Id say just keep cpu and motherboard.

The most significant upgrade for gaming performance would be the graphics card. I put a 770 in there.

psu is basic but decent quality and the case is also basic, but decent quality and comes with blue led fans, that are relatively quiet.

post-120-0-75689500-1393764281.png

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Buy a Fractal Core 1000 and paint it blue...?

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Does he really need to upgrade his PSU and case? What PSU and Case does he have?

Standard 350w PSU, and a DELL XPS studio 8000 case.

The i7 860 is still a good cpu, and there are no more 1156 motherboards available. Id say just keep cpu and motherboard.

The most significant upgrade for gaming performance would be the graphics card. I put a 770 in there.

psu is basic but decent quality and the case is also basic, but decent quality and comes with blue led fans, that are relatively quiet.

Good option though 

With that budget he won't be able to upgrade really. The i7-860 isn't that bad of a chip, and if you minus the cost of case + psu alone he won't be in a budget to get a nice CPU + MoBo combination. I suggest he leaves the CPU and MB and saves up a little bit.

2q9luz6.png

just get a better gpu 

He doesn't play BF4 or something, things like Blops 2 and Rising storm.

I'd upgrade the GPU more than anything in that rig.

Something like a 280X will do nicely (or 770). Get a Carbide 300R if he needs a decent windowed case.

Upgrade to MSI 7770 Ghz or Power Edition in here its just 1.5 Dollars difference..

7750: 129$

7770: 130.5$

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Is he set on overclocking his CPU? Otherwise he could just go with something like this

CKWRhGh.png

and have a baller case + some leftover money

THE signature

In that case there is really no need to upgrade anything if you don't want better GPU performance. The CPU and mobo should be fine and you should just replace the case and PSU. 

Because you don't want a better GPU and there's no reason to upgrade your CPU and Mobo if your current one isn't bottle necking your GPU. 

Is he set on overclocking his CPU? Otherwise he could just go with something like this

CKWRhGh.png

and have a baller case + some leftover money

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!

List of Components

Ok you convinced me. I didn't look for specific components but my memory told me that 400€ wouldn't be enough. Nice choices btw.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Upgrade to MSI 7770 Ghz or Power Edition in here its just 1.5 Dollars difference..

7750: 129$

7770: 130.5$

Bought the 7750 for 70 euros

Ok you convinced me. I didn't look for specific components but my memory told me that 400€ wouldn't be enough. Nice choices btw.

Thanks haha, different value's here too of course

Thanks haha, different value's here too of course

I'm from Germany so our prices are quite similar, if not cheaper here over the border.

I'm from Germany so our prices are quite similar, if not cheaper here over the border.

Toll!