Migrate lubuntu 20.04 from larger hdd to smaller ssd

Hello all I have a noobish question. I have a 1tb hdd with minimal stuff on it for a plex server. All it has on it is the os and metadata essentially. So I don't need that much space and would like to go to a smaller capacity ssd. Is there a bash file or utility that can do this? I was thinking about going in with a live disk and shrinking the partition then booting into clonezilla to migrate the partition. Is this possible or is the a better way? I'm just concerned that I won't be able to boot in if clonezilla doesn't edit the uuid since every time I edit the fstab It either doesn't work or I have a no boot situation. 

Either shrink the parttions and dd over, or you can remake the partitions on the new drive, and then rsync all the data over, and reinstall grub.

if there is no data on it other than the plex server, why not just install a new copy of ubuntu from scratch? that would seem like the best way to ensure compatibility between installs

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Either shrink the parttions and dd over, or you can remake the partitions on the new drive, and then rsync all the data over, and reinstall grub.

I went ahead and just did what my plan was. I had to force bypass and allow dynamic adjustment of the partition table but everything seems to work without messing with grub even though it's supposed to break grub. I figured worst case it wouldn't work and I could format the ssd and try a different method. 

2 hours ago, Saksham said:

if there is no data on it other than the plex server, why not just install a new copy of ubuntu from scratch? that would seem like the best way to ensure compatibility between installs

It's faster to migrate metadata, go through and fix incorrect matches and tv show analysis to allow skipping intros than it would take to rebuild. Like 30 minutes VS 12-18 hours.