How many more VPN leaks/hacks are needed to stop people from advertising them?

lambrosgg
22 minutes ago, lambrosgg said:

1. Its ok because you can't avoid getting hacked. In a world where big names like facebook, google, twitter get hacked, you can't demand from a vpn (or anyone) to be "unhackable"

3. I never said "legal right" just "the right" meaning free will, yes.

4. As I said in the end, none of us can prove our claims. You are saying most of them are legit, but you are not proving it either.

If by having a "choice" you mean to not use the internet at all, then its not really a choice. Once you start fully using the internet, everything gets outside your device: Your credit card info, your shipping details, cookies and browsing history. Its up to the ISP (or VPN) not the user for these info to remain private.

The concept of VPNs is great. I never suggested that the concept should be dismissed. However, until they can be properly regulated by law, I hope they would just all show down for now. Its a jungle atm.

Read my post above: UFO VPN got caught keeping logs days ago, even they said they don't. Absolutely nothing happened to them, their app is still in the appstore, 4.5 star rating, specifically mentioning "not keeping logs" in the features list even now. Its a free vpn mind you, but I doubt different rules apply to free or paid VPNs. You say paid VPNs don't need to sell user data, I say they do for extra income. Ethics vs Profit. Again disclaimer: none of us knows or has proof, we all make assumptions here.

Consumers will vote with their wallets, but most consumers don't really understand how free apps make money, or what "user data logs" even mean. VPN ads are in all kinds of youtube videos now, not just tech. All those tech related services are new and our society mindset hasn't changed enough to demand laws to regulate them. See lootboxes and microtransactions in games as en example: They existed for 14 years, but just the past year 2-3 countries started realizing that its basically gambling and they need to be regulated. It will take many more years for the majority of people worldwide to realize that its indeed gambling and push politicians to actually make those laws in every country. VPNs are a risk, you trust them with your privacy and right now all you have to support that trust is a hope that ethics apply. I am sorry but that's not good enough. Until laws happen, at least the tech "influencers" who know the risks better, should protect their less informed viewers.

1. That doesn't make it OK. I never demanded anyone be unhackable but you said it was OK for that info to be found. I don't think that's OK, simple.

3. Saying people have the RIGHT to do something implies by definition they are entitled to or allowed to. The way it is typically expressed is in legal terms. and my point still remains. Resigning that because it's physically possible to be a criminal makes everyone a criminal somehow is silly.

4. Well I didn't give a number to prove. You said all which is 100%, a number that I can prove to be factually wrong. So point being, if you want to make outlandish claims and generalizations you better bring the data to back it up. 

By having a choice, I mean choosing what services to buy. There are people who live outside the internet, but that is not what I was referring to at all. I choose what info goes on the internet. You may say "Well the bank stores their info on the internet" To which I say, what If I don't use a bank? Extreme points of course and most won't go that far but it is possible and using your rights to privacy is a CHOICE. I can choose to be careful, stay away from certain websites, always browse in incognito mode, etc. or I can CHOOSE to post my entire life on Facebook, regularly visit sketchy websites, and give my email info to every website that requests it for a newsletter or subscription. 

The problem with you saying you don't want to dismiss them is you've set up impossible standards. We can put laws into effect sure. We can eliminate some incentive for bad behavior, but if you're waiting for any assurance that no one is being shady before using VPN's, then you'll never be using VPN's. As you said, it's only those who've gotten caught, so those fines and legal implications only affect those who get caught. Meaning some companies won't give a crap about the laws cause they think they won't get caught. Since you don't want us to use them until this potential is gone, you have dismissed them. As you yourself said, every company has the right to be shady. And since you pointed out you meant free will, not legal rights, that effects companies in a world where the laws have been created too.

Consumers will vote with their wallets, but most consumers don't really understand how free apps make money, or what "user data logs" even mean.

Which is why I've agreed several times the laws need to be in place. Doesn't mean theres no good vpns right now though.

VPNs are a risk

So is using the internet without a good vpn. So instead of assuming it to be an avoidable risk and not use a vpn, I'll do my research and find a good one, the same way I check the safety ratings and reliability reviews of vehicles before taking the risk of driving a crappy car.

at least the tech "influencers" who know the risks better, should protect their less informed viewers.

Which is exactly why those influencers recommend one they feel comfortable using themselves after doing the proper research and understanding the risks. This logic works for any product ever. No one can guarantee all brands of a product are built well and function correctly. Also no one can assure that because a few brands are cheap crap that don't work, they all must be and we should stop using that product until the law says you can't make a crap product anymore. By that logic you can't use any products ever. Sounds pretty empty and boring to me.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.