Friends new build, wont turn on.

Vader

I just helped a friend of mine build his first PC. He has a i5 4670k, Asus z87-a, 8gb Mushkin RAM 1600mhz cl9, MSI Gaming 770, corsair cx600m, 120gb samsung evo, 1tb hdd caviar blue. When we first built it (i was helping him over skype video chat), i had him do an external build. It booted up right into the bios so i knew that the mobo, processor, and the power supply werent defective. Now that he has everything in the case, it wont boot. The motherboard is powered on because the green light is on. He tried shorting the connector on the motherboard to turn it on (this is when its in the case). He tried using the front panel connectors as well, nothing. Any help? 

UPDATE*** He got the PC to turn on. He unplugged all of the sata cables coming from the PSU, and the PCIe power cables. on his power supply, he was plugging in his video card into this port. http://prntscr.com/2x3yw1 . could that be the reason why its not fully booting? 

PC Specs

Intel i5 4670k 4.2ghz @1.20v | Cooler Master 212 Plus | Asus z87-A | Fractal Design Define R4 |Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Samsung 840 EVO | Seasonic 520w m12II | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 1600mhz | PowerColor 7870 GHz edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | NZXT Hue RGB Controller

I just helped a friend of mine build his first PC. He has a i5 4670k, Asus z87-a, 8gb Mushkin RAM 1600mhz cl9, MSI Gaming 770, corsair cx600m, 120gb samsung evo, 1tb hdd caviar blue. When we first built it (i was helping him over skype video chat), i had him do an external build. It booted up right into the bios so i knew that the mobo, processor, and the power supply werent defective. Now that he has everything in the case, it wont boot. The motherboard is powered on because the green light is on. He tried shorting the connector on the motherboard to turn it on (this is when its in the case). He tried using the front panel connectors as well, nothing. Any help? 

Did he remember to plug in the cpu power connector? Happens more than you think.

Did he remember to plug in the cpu power connector? Happens more than you think.

No fans spin when he tries and turns it on though 

PC Specs

Intel i5 4670k 4.2ghz @1.20v | Cooler Master 212 Plus | Asus z87-A | Fractal Design Define R4 |Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Samsung 840 EVO | Seasonic 520w m12II | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 1600mhz | PowerColor 7870 GHz edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | NZXT Hue RGB Controller

No fans spin when he tries and turns it on though 

Are all the connectors to the power supply fully plugged in? They could just be sitting in there. Also, did he remember to turn the actual power supply on?

Are all the connectors to the power supply fully plugged in? They could just be sitting in there. Also, did he remember to turn the actual power supply on?

Doing that right now. The power supply is on because the LED from the motherboard is on. He has it flipped onto the - on the psu

PC Specs

There's a connector on the motherboard that you can short? I thought that was the possible with the PSU. In terms of fans, make sure they are all in properly? Maybe you damaged something putting it into the case?

Doing that right now. The power supply is on because the LED from the motherboard is on. He has it flipped onto the - on the psu

Alright, just making sure that all the obvious is taken care of.

There's a connector on the motherboard that you can short? I thought that was the possible with the PSU. In terms of fans, make sure they are all in properly? Maybe you damaged something putting it into the case?

The annoying little prong things that you have to connect so that when you hit the power switch on your case the computer as a whole turns on, you can short those to make it turn on.

The annoying little prong things that you have to connect so that when you hit the power switch on your case the computer as a whole turns on, you can short those to make it turn on.

He's tried that, it worked outside of the case, but it doesnt work when its in the case. Could there be a short somewhere ? 

PC Specs

Ah, I knew I was going to look stupid when I posted that. There's always that thing that you feel you forget, but don't realize you forgot it until later. D:

He's tried that, it worked outside of the case, but it doesnt work when its in the case. Could there be a short somewhere ? 

has he tried taking it back outside the case, building it just like he did in the test build, and then starting it like that? (i realize this is like the final thing to try, it just sounds like he has possibly done that already, or it could be a consideration.) With the short, where was he working at? He wasn't standing on carpet, sliding his feet back and fourth furiously while also rubbing a balloon on his hair and touching the pc components was he?

Okay. he unplugged everything, plugged them back in, tried shorting the mobo again, didnt work. I failed to mention that when he did the external build, the GPU wasn't in. Could that be the cause? 

PC Specs

Okay. he unplugged everything, plugged them back in, tried shorting the mobo again, didnt work. I failed to mention that when he did the external build, the GPU wasn't in. Could that be the cause? 

i dont think a gpu would cause an entire systems failure, unless it was taking up too much power, but with a 600w psu you should be fine. I would just assume you would get the non working gpu beeps if that was the case. It wouldnt hurt to try taking the gpu out and booting like that.

all motherboard standoffs are instaled ? (would be my best guess)

you can try it to boot without GPU, but i dont think this will be the issue.

Enforced Evolution - Red/Black Beast machine from "gheto" :) All 120 images

i dont think a gpu would cause an entire systems failure, unless it was taking up too much power, but with a 600w psu you should be fine. I would just assume you would get the non working gpu beeps if that was the case. It wouldnt hurt to try taking the gpu out and booting like that.

Having him do this. The cpu power cable on a  semi modular PSU, is it attached to the string of cables that are on the PSU? or is it part of the modular part? 

PC Specs

Having him do this. The cpu power cable on a  semi modular PSU, is it attached to the string of cables that are on the PSU? or is it part of the modular part? 

There should be at least one cpu power cable in the string of cables that are pre attached. There might be an option to attach another cable that is also a cpu power cable on the psu. So i guess it's both in a way.

i would say the cable should be attached, since its quite mandatory :P Dont know that PSU, so I might be wrong tho. It should be 8pin or 2x 4pin(can be cliped together)

Enforced Evolution - Red/Black Beast machine from "gheto" :) All 120 images

There should be at least one cpu power cable in the string of cables that are pre attached. There might be an option to attach another cable that is also a cpu power cable on the psu. So i guess it's both in a way.

I just updated the original post. could you check it out and tell me what you thing? 

PC Specs

I just updated the original post. could you check it out and tell me what you thing? 

So the pc actually turned on with all of those unplugged? Well to me that looks like the graphics card plug should be going into that slot, even says Pcie 6 + 2 slot. He was plugging in a power connector to both of the 8pin slots on the graphics card itself, filling up all 16pins, yes?

So the pc actually turned on with all of those unplugged? Well to me that looks like the graphics card plug should be going into that slot, even says Pcie 6 + 2 slot. He was plugging in a power connector to both of the 8pin slots on the graphics card itself, filling up all 16pins, yes?

Yes. He has 2 sets of 6+2 PCI connectors. his GPU takes a total of 16. Now the weird thing is, he put the video card back in, He has only 8 of the pins connected for his GPU and it turns on. he unplugged the other 6+2 connector, and it works. Not entirely sure why.

PC Specs

Yes. He has 2 sets of 6+2 PCI connectors. his GPU takes a total of 16. Now the weird thing is, he put the video card back in, He has only 8 of the pins connected for his GPU and it turns on. he unplugged the other 6+2 connector, and it works. Not entirely sure why.

works as in the computer turns on and the graphics card works also? what, this pc is blasphemy . i guess try connecting everything again and seeing if it all works.

works as in the computer turns on and the graphics card works also? what, this pc is blasphemy . i guess try connecting everything again and seeing if it all works.

Can he have the 6 pin powering the 8pin on the video card? or is that not okay 

PC Specs

What GPU is it? Perhaps the other 8 pins is optional for providing more power if attempting to overclock.

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • GPU1: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • GPU2: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red, 16gb (2x8GB) @1600mhz
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W 80+ Gold
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB 7200RPM
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB
  • Monitor: Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 144hz G-Sync
  • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 OHM
  • DAC/AMP: Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Combo
  • Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
  • Keyboard: KBP V60 - Cherry MX Brown

Can he have the 6 pin powering the 8pin on the video card? or is that not okay 

ive always thought its been you need to have all the pins plugged in for it to work, but obviously this throws that out the window. I guess if it works, then it works.

What GPU is it? Perhaps the other 8 pins is optional for providing more power if attempting to overclock.

Could also be this.

ive always thought its been you need to have all the pins plugged in for it to work, but obviously this throws that out the window. I guess if it works, then it works.

Could also be this.

yay another issue. He got the GPU to turn on and his PC to turn on, now when he tries to connect his monitor to the GPU, the display wont show. fans are spinning on the GPU as well.  he assures me that the CPU power is fully in as well. 

PC Specs