HDD on its last legs?

I have 237 errors in the event viewer for event ID 154 in the last hour. "The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000048) failed due to a hardware error" This is pointing to my external USB3 8TB Seagate drive.

The PC has recently been built and I have had a couple of BSODs and a couple of system freezes which result in failed restarts. This has happened with the drive plugged into different USB ports on the PC.

Is it on its way out or could there another reason for the errors?

2 minutes ago, Alltheshots said:

I have 237 errors in the event viewer for event ID 154 in the last hour. "The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000048) failed due to a hardware error" This is pointing to my external USB3 8TB Seagate drive.

The PC has recently been built and I have had a couple of BSODs and a couple of system freezes which result in failed restarts. This has happened with the drive plugged into different USB ports on the PC.

Is it on its way out or could there another reason for the errors?

could be bad usb cable?

you can probably check the disk health using utilities like crystal disk info (not crystal disk mark)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Have you run a SMART test lately?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Try the drive on another machine, but this sounds more like a problem with the USB controllers or something else on your PC. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

14 hours ago, Moonzy said:

could be bad usb cable?

you can probably check the disk health using utilities like crystal disk info (not crystal disk mark)

chkdsk showed no errors

14 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Have you run a SMART test lately?

I ran one earlier and all drives came back ok

14 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Try the drive on another machine, but this sounds more like a problem with the USB controllers or something else on your PC. 

I fear you may be correct. I will try to convince the Mrs to let me near her PC (she wont be keen). I'm also going to rebuild the system just to be sure there are no loose connections anywhere but I doubt that will change anything.

Thanks for the suggestions so far all 👍

*Quick Update*

I've not managed to get my Mrs to agree to letting me try the drive on her PC yet but I have rebuilt and have been running the computer without any issues for a little over 24hrs with that drive disconnected. I did try connecting it and the errors started again but other USB drives are fine regardless of USB port used. Hopefully it is just the HDD dying and not a more serious issue.

My next step is to get a new drive and wait for the Mrs to go out then use her PC to copy the files over from old to new and say no more about it. I'll most likely get an internal drive as I have loads of space to fill in the case and it'll hide the fact I'm still spending money on it 😂