Need help with aftermarket DP 1.4 Cable

PhaKin_A

I just got my new LG 38GN950-B monitor. It ships with a DP 1.4 cable and it is very short. I noticed at the bottom of the screen it says to use the cable that it shipped with. However, for the sake of cable management I would like to use one that is longer. I did some research and saw that with some longer cables it can cause flickering, pixelation, or cause your screen to go black or permanently damage your GPU or monitor. Don’t want to risk that.

Just wanted to get your guy’s thoughts on whether it’s safe to use a VESA certified DP 1.4 aftermarket cable? 

Thanks

37 minutes ago, PhaKin_A said:

I just got my new LG 38GN950-B monitor. It ships with a DP 1.4 cable and it is very short. I noticed at the bottom of the screen it says to use the cable that it shipped with. However, for the sake of cable management I would like to use one that is longer. I did some research and saw that with some longer cables it can cause flickering, pixelation, or cause your screen to go black or permanently damage your GPU or monitor. Don’t want to risk that.

Just wanted to get your guy’s thoughts on whether it’s safe to use a VESA certified DP 1.4 aftermarket cable? 

Thanks

How long a cable do you need?  my memory is the longest DP cables are pretty long.

according to Wikipedia vesa doesn’t even recognize 1.4 as a thing for cables they do recognize the concept of a dp8k cable it seems.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I was originally doing research when I first built my computer into that same thing. 

As I researched, I found out that you have to be extremely careful with the cable you choose because even the VESA certified cables can cause those issues. I found that most people would just recommend staying with the manufacturer supplied cable. I even looked up the exact model of the cable my monitors came with and I found that it wouldn't necessarily work.

I made the short ones work for my setup with really decent cable management IMO.