Ram usage close to limit. SOLVED

Marbo

First off basic specs

R5 2600

B450 mb

RTX 2060S

16gb ram

I use Daz studio to render. As much as poss using gpu. When I have a render using over about 6.5gb of vram around 15gb of system ram are being used. I've not noticed much disk usage during this time suggesting that it's not needing to swap. Although I'm not looking at this during the whole render process. I either leave it to run or I'm browsing, watching YouTube etc. 

If I were to add more ram would this help? 

Is there something I could check to see if the system would use more if it were present, or would it sit there unsed? 

10 hours ago, Marbo said:

If I were to add more ram would this help? 

if it is utilizing that much ram then it is pretty obvious that this would help..

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

if it is utilizing that much ram then it is pretty obvious that this would help..

I'm not sure about obvious. If 15gb is the max it's going to use with my normal usage then extra would be a waste. 

If it was bouncing off 16gb then I say yes it needs more. But what I'm wondering is if that 1gb that's not being used could be reserved for something else, and that my system would utilise more should I get it. 

then extra would be a waste. 

yea they would not. you are most likely page filing..

But what I'm wondering is if that 1gb that's not being used could be reserved for something else,

it is, usually for system responsiveness etc. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

My modded Cities Skylines runs around 13GB, it was over 15 so I did a full redo of the mods and assets I use and got the usage down.

This game is probably the only reason I need more than 8GB as Skyrim just can’t use that much despite also being heavily modded.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Windows 10 is very good at clearing out RAM for only what is needed, but with more RAM available it will leave alot of that on the RAM as it doesnt see a need to "clean it up" for room.  I regularly see 20gb of usage when Im running 32gb of RAM with quite a few tabs open and Warzone (for example) but with 16gb of RAM there really isnt a system bottleneck due to this, as the bottleneck isnt there for an SSD (spinning drive Id say yes it could use more RAM) - Im not much into rendering, but Id also be of the opinion the more RAM the better from what Ive read.

So I googled it, and the first thread that shows up on the DAZ3D forum is 16gb is the minimum recommended qty of RAM you should have.  You could probably research a bit more into that to see what exactly would be the benefits in adding more RAM (cost to render time worth it?) etc

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

18 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

So I googled it, and the first thread that shows up on the DAZ3D forum is 16gb is the minimum recommended qty of RAM you should have.  You could probably research a bit more into that to see what exactly would be the benefits in adding more RAM (cost to render time worth it?) etc

Basically it can only use the gpu to render if it will fit into vram, so it wouldn't speed things up. 

The system ram is mostly used by the app and unrendered scene in it. 

So really any extra ram is used for other things while this all going on. 

Edit: if the gpu is using 6.5 to the the max 8gb while rendering then the app will be using around 12 to 13gb system memory. 

Right, so what I've taken from this. 

My ram is most likely leaning on my ssd for a bit of support. 

Using the ssd for page filing is not really going to affect performance of other things I'm doing while the computer is crunching numbers. 

Although no real adverse affect in real time use, it will be putting unnecessary writes on the ssd. 

I might even see a bit of an improvement in responsiveness with extra ram while prolonging the life of the ssd. 

More ram fill those two empty slots. 

Added another 16gb and started a render, I didn't do anything else so only my usual background processes running.

6.7gb of vram used by the render and display. System ram usage went over 20gb.

Seem my pc must have been doing a lot of swapping of data in and out of memory.

mem.thumb.jpg.03bc64e2df8778b6f18456abbe906006.jpg