Best HD for HTPC

FadeZ

I will be upgrading the Storage setup for the HTPC and not sure what I should  go with. I will likely be going with raid 5 but not sure what model drives any suggestions?

HTPC - home theater PC - I assume this is for just playing content on tv and such. No real need for Raid at all. Best bet, SSD drive, will boot fast and be very responsive. Otherwise something like a green or blue, quiet, lower power...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

A solid-state drive would be ideal for a home theater PC. Most home theater PCs don't call for much storage and a solid-state drive would be silent, produce no heat, and have a low power draw, all of which are features you should be looking for in home theater PC hardware.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Performance-wise a regular HDD is more than enough.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

WD reds are what I'm planning on using for my htpc / media server build

Technically any drive will work.

WD red, is a good drive but pay a little more for enhanced reliability for 24/7 use.

I will be upgrading the Storage setup for the HTPC and not sure what I should  go with. I will likely be going with raid 5 but not sure what model drives any suggestions?

Can you please explain your setup a little bit more? People in the thread seem to be jumping to conclusions and/or assuming things.

Is this just an HTPC? Will this be holding your media files too? What sort of Storage Requirements (size) do you have? If you're talking RAID 5, then I assume you will be storing large amount of video content. Is this correct?

If so, then I would recommend WD Red drives, or the Seagate NAS drives <-(Check the links there to see examples). Whichever ones happen to be the better price for you (Or if you have a brand preference).

Your boot drive should ideally be an SSD, but for your actual movie/data storage, then I recommend the seagate or WD drives I've noted above.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

you are correct i need a large amount of space for videos not sure how much space il end up going but at least a few TB's.

Can you please explain your setup a little bit more? People in the thread seem to be jumping to conclusions and/or assuming things.

Is this just an HTPC? Will this be holding your media files too? What sort of Storage Requirements (size) do you have? If you're talking RAID 5, then I assume you will be storing large amount of video content. Is this correct?

If so, then I would recommend WD Red drives, or the Seagate NAS drives <-(Check the links there to see examples). Whichever ones happen to be the better price for you (Or if you have a brand preference).

Your boot drive should ideally be an SSD, but for your actual movie/data storage, then I recommend the seagate or WD drives I've noted above.

to give you some idea on how much space you might end up on needing..

I have 1.4tb just in my movies and all my shows are currently spread over 8 1tb hard drives

my raid storage build is looking like being around the 12tb mark when in raid with about 80% capacity used  up at the start

to give you some idea on how much space you might end up on needing..

I have 1.4tb just in my movies and all my shows are currently spread over 8 1tb hard drives

my raid storage build is looking like being around the 12tb mark when in raid with about 80% capacity used  up at the start

You should consider upgrading to larger HDD's. You could achieve the same capacity with 4x 3TB HDD's and you'll cut down on the number of potential failure points.

But your point is well made. HD content in particular can very quickly eat up space!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)