Linux mint text editor memory bug

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

Do you need to edit them or just read them? You could try "less" on the command line or glogg if you want something with a UI.

xed will contiue to eat ram even after a large text file is closed. So ive been playing with java to make some strings that are random for some freelance I do. AKA I make very large text files (1gb min) I thought that the built in text editor of linux mint for be fine as it opened and seemed to load the file and be good. But after I closed the file I noticed my system was kinda unresponsive after going to htop I saw that xed (the text editor) was eating 14.7gb of my 16gb when opening a 1gb file. Does anyone have any suggestions to either fix this issue or a alternative linux text editor for extremely large (sometimes larger than 10gb) text files?

Do you need to edit them or just read them? You could try "less" on the command line or glogg if you want something with a UI.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

13 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Generally speaking I don't need to scroll I just kinda need to see if the output will look correct so glogg will work (glogg opens the file and shows one page of the file and then seems to load the rest which takes a bit). Thank you!

Edit seems glogg has a similar issue actually. If I close the program before it finishes loading the file its will continue to load it until it finishes and then it closes the task. Not sure why closing the UI doesn't insta kill the task but it seems like a lot of things have this issue I guess. Good news is i can use "less" for larger files and glogg for smaller files.