PC won’t boot unless I reset CMOS

Hello there!

So yesterday as I was booting, I encountered POST code 99 and reset CMOS. Resetting CMOS allowed me to boot and I thought it might’ve just been a one-time fluke or something. Turns out I have to reset CMOS every time or else I get code 99.

So... my question is: how do I fix this?

If I don’t reset CMOS, I get code 99 and I can’t boot. If I do reset CMOS, I can boot normally, although I have noticed that my computer is substantially slower if I do this. 

I know there are some other forum posts about this but they were sort of confusing.

any help would be appreciated :)

Computer specs:
-AMD FX-8350 (old, yes, I know)
-MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition
-PowerColor Red Devil RX570
-8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1333 (same ram modules, not different ones)
-Corsair CX650 Grey

is there any software on your os that could be trying to apply an overclock?

are you able to update the bios?

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

did you do anything prior to this happening? like updating the bios etc

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Update the bios. 

And then clear the cmos again and then try. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

hey everyone!

After reading the comments, I decided to try updating the bios.

So I was flashing the BIOS with M-flash, and after it competed, my computer restarted. After the restart, it showed code 90 in the bottom right corner.

I tried resetting CMOS, but it didn’t do anything. Code 90.

and there is no overclock being applied, nothing changed, suddenly code 99 one day and now code 90.

Thanks for the help :)

@TofuHaroto

47 minutes ago, chooeybooey said:

and there is no overclock being applied, nothing changed, suddenly code 99 one day and now code 90.

Reseat everything. 

Try with one stick at a time. 

Clear the cmos again. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

@TofuHaroto I tried booting with one stick of ram and a cleared cmos, but all that came up was error code 90.

as always, tysm

8 minutes ago, chooeybooey said:

error code 90.

Can't seem to find anything about this. 

Are you sure you flashed it correctly? Do you possibly have a different cpu / board you can try?

Build Log: 

@TofuHaroto

I used m flash in the MSI bios to flash the new bios. I’m pretty sure I did it correctly.

unfortunately, I don’t have another motherboard or cpu

its just a 90 in the bottom right corner when I boot

Just now, chooeybooey said:

unfortunately, I don’t have another motherboard or cpu

A friend's system?

its just a 90 in the bottom left corner when I boot

Reseat everything. 

Make sure everything is properly plugged and seated. 

Not much can be done when a PC simply doesn't boot sadly..

Build Log: 

@TofuHaroto so I’m not even sure what I did, but my pc booted normally.

I opened it up and fiddled around with the connections, then closed it and it booted normally.

lol

lol

Well I mean.. at least it's working now. 

Build Log: 

rebooted and got code 99. 

So the only way to boot is to clear the cmos? Either the cmos battery is kind of dying it the bios chip is or something..

Build Log: 

I’ll see if replacing the cmos battery does anything, but my computer remembers the date and time so I don’t think it’s the cmos battery @TofuHaroto

2 minutes ago, chooeybooey said:

time so I don’t think it’s the cmos battery @TofuHaroto

It could be other things.. the cmos battery could cause other problems. Only way to find out if you can replace it. 

Build Log: 

I didn’t have any of the batteries lying around (I thought I did but guess not) so I ordered some and they’ll arrive tomorrow.

@TofuHaroto

well thanks so much! It was the CMOS battery after all. Installed a new one, did a couple reboots, everything worked fine.

• 2 years later...

Was looking for help and found this forum and I have a similar issue. Just got a new corsair cx750m semi-modular power supply and I installed it and plugged everything back in. But now I try to turn on the PC but nothing happens. I already tried reseating cpu and ram and only using one stick of ram. I also tried removing gpu but nothing and disconnecting everything except 24pin and cpu power. However the only way PC turns on is by Taking out cmos battery and putting it back in. But that just turns it on but there is no post after that nothing comes up just the PC fans spinning.

Specs:

I7 3770

ASUS P8Z77-M pro