New problem, comp dies but all lights are on and fans ramp up ramp up and stay on

Sin Stalker

Either some point during a game (early on or immediately upon opening) or sometimes when simply opening an image, my computer's screens go black and shit off. The fans will ramp up to 100% and everything will stay this way until I hit reset or cut power via the PSU. If I do not reset, eventually the post screen comes up and stay up, with an LED stuck on VGA or boot.

It started today, around 1pm and no matter what I do (event swapping out the GPU), the problem persists.

I've also noticed the fan on my PSU sounds bad. It is loud and harsh.

22 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

Either some point during a game (early on or immediately upon opening) or sometimes when simply opening an image, my computer's screens go black and shit off. The fans will ramp up to 100% and everything will stay this way until I hit reset or cut power via the PSU. If I do not reset, eventually the post screen comes up and stay up, with an LED stuck on VGA or boot.

It started today, around 1pm and no matter what I do (event swapping out the GPU), the problem persists.

I've also noticed the fan on my PSU sounds bad. It is loud and harsh.

My pc had the exact same issue some time ago, after a while it stoped showing the post screen at all, the issue was a bad RAM stick, I changed it and it worked perfectly. But it can also be a CPU problem, a friend of mine had a similar problem and it turned out to be low pressure on the CPU against the MoBo, causing the pins of the socket to not get a good contact with the CPU. 

first i would definitely boot into safe mode, just in case its something you have running in the background causing the issue. but id go check the windows event log to see if its logging what the crash is and post that. to give a better understanding of whats happening

Yeah, overclocking could make your system very unstable and do that weird stuff as well.

1 hour ago, fawko said:

My pc had the exact same issue some time ago, after a while it stoped showing the post screen at all, the issue was a bad RAM stick, I changed it and it worked perfectly. But it can also be a CPU problem, a friend of mine had a similar problem and it turned out to be low pressure on the CPU against the MoBo, causing the pins of the socket to not get a good contact with the CPU. 

I'll try running with a single ram stick to see if it's the issue. I don't think it is a socket pressure issue, as I have a Ryzen CPU.

1 hour ago, Warp1942red said:

first i would definitely boot into safe mode, just in case its something you have running in the background causing the issue. but id go check the windows event log to see if its logging what the crash is and post that. to give a better understanding of whats happening

But I haven't installed anything recently, save for Zoom for a summer math class and then HWinfo64 after the issue began.

I just found out about the crash stuff log. Here: 

I don't understand how to read them. Is there a guide anywhere?

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Have you done any overclocking? What are your PC specs?

No OC.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 2700x

Mobo: Asus x370 Crosshair IV Hero AC/wifi

Ram: 2x Corsair rgb vengeance pro

Main drive: m.2 nvme Samsung 970 Evo ssd.

Gpu: GTX 1080 FE (but also have it happening with a 1080 zotac mini).

PSU: EVGA g3 850w 80+ gold.

Is X.M.P. enabled? Did you try disabling it?

Do try booting with a single stick of RAM and swapping it around.

Event Viewer can be a bit of a pain to read. You would probably want to look under the System Folder and possibly Application. Look for anything with a red X at the time the system crashed.

31 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Is X.M.P. enabled? Did you try disabling it?

Do try booting with a single stick of RAM and swapping it around.

Event Viewer can be a bit of a pain to read. You would probably want to look under the System Folder and possibly Application. Look for anything with a red X at the time the system crashed.

I've tried xmp enabled and disabled, as well as running my 3200 ram at 3000. No change.

I've ran 1 stick before with other stability issues going on and it had no effect. But I'll try tomorrow again. Currently the PSU is removed and I'll be RMAing it back due to at least the fan noise.

Is system folder in event viewer?

8 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

Is system folder in event viewer?

Yes.

146602988_Screenshotfrom2020-07-1710-45-24.png.27d6a5da4c2c3b8517c95e393ef50ead.png

Let us know what you find at the time the system restarted.

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Yes.

146602988_Screenshotfrom2020-07-1710-45-24.png.27d6a5da4c2c3b8517c95e393ef50ead.png

Let us know what you find at the time the system restarted.

I am not sure what to make of these. I booted up apex to get proper times. System messed up at 10:31 on my phone's clock. Got back into windows at about 10:33.

1032.PNG.a2680b1985899403a85eae37e7e06f65.PNG

1033.thumb.PNG.08eb5e151026455b0b8c6a846db2c3f3.PNG

1034.thumb.PNG.7e2a84da1fc7dc5811b24a936ee368ca.PNG

1041.thumb.PNG.2af19a640b2932e110b77da9de6a095c.PNG

1042.thumb.PNG.e538d0a99708b32553007fae4792a393.PNG

Also, there are lots and lots of warnings being generated constantly. I will refresh the list after a minute or two and itll take up the whole viewing window.

This is all with the same PSU, RAM, etc, installed. Wanted to get these listed before class. I'll try single ram sticks in a few hours (after class).

What does that Critical error about Kernel-power say? These errors don't particularly say what has caused the issue but it sounds like a hardware device.

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What does that Critical error about Kernel-power say? These errors don't particularly say what has caused the issue but it sounds like a hardware device.

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first."

It is because I shut down my computer, but after 5+ minutes of it having that blue screen and the words "shutting down..." in the center, I held down the power button. Then a few minutes later realized I forgot to upload them here and went back in. 

My system often won't shut down and I have to do it manually. 

Although I hit shut down this time, after logging back on to check what the error was and it shut down quick and easy this time. /shrug

If the system misbehaves like this reliably enough I would try installing windows to a spare SSD/HDD and seeing if a benchmark test causes the same problem.

First run a GPU benchmark on your current install. See if the system crashes. If it does repeat the test on a separate install on a separate drive. This will rule out software or your storage device as culprits if it happens again.

14 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If the system misbehaves like this reliably enough I would try installing windows to a spare SSD/HDD and seeing if a benchmark test causes the same problem.

First run a GPU benchmark on your current install. See if the system crashes. If it does repeat the test on a separate install on a separate drive. This will rule out software or your storage device as culprits if it happens again.

You mean do a fresh install of windows on my current drive or are you saying fresh windows on another draft, as in it may be my m.2 that is causing the problem??

25 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

You mean do a fresh install of windows on my current drive or are you saying fresh windows on another draft, as in it may be my m.2 that is causing the problem??

Try a fresh install on a spare drive, yes. I'd recommend removing your M.2 so it can't impact anything after we benchmark before you install to a spare drive. Before you do that though try running a GPU benchmark like Unigine Valley. If the system crashes that'll be our reference.

On 7/17/2020 at 1:32 PM, Windows7ge said:

Try a fresh install on a spare drive, yes. I'd recommend removing your M.2 so it can't impact anything after we benchmark before you install to a spare drive. Before you do that though try running a GPU benchmark like Unigine Valley. If the system crashes that'll be our reference.

Ive had a lot of homework and finally got back to this now. Apologies for the slow reply.

At first, after turned everything back on to run unigine valley, the noise on my power supply was gone. Everything seemed fine. Even booting up a game. But I continued with UV and ran the benchmark. Halfway through, all of a sudden there was a single artifact/white box for a moment and the sound on the PSU returned.

Benchmark finished and I got a score: 5276 with FPS:126.1.

Ran the benchmark again with the noise occurring from the beginning and got Score:5261 and FPS: 125.7.

For good measure, I turned on Apex. I was able to run a single PVE mission without it crashing. This is something that would not happen before. I would crash either as soon as the mission loaded or halfway through. The noise of the PSU was there but went quiet after a few minutes into the mission. Before the noise was constant as long as the computer was on.

Given that I normally play with a headset on all the time, it could be the noise has always been there was instability in the system occurs and I never realized it. But as far as I can confirm, the noise started after 1pm last week and my system was fully unstable.

I will install windows on a separate ssd and see what happens with UV and apex. 

The buzzing would be loose coils in your PSU. These are usually dampened with a type of rubber glue but at times they buzz anyways. It can be quite annoying but it's not harmful. Now I had an instance in the past where I had a low 5V rail and it caused WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR's. This happened while both under load and idle. It'd happen several times in a day or disappear for a month. Real PITA to find out it was my high quality PSU. With that in mind it could be your PSU. Don't know if you have a spare around.

11 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

The buzzing would be loose coils in your PSU. These are usually dampened with a type of rubber glue but at times they buzz anyways. It can be quite annoying but it's not harmful. Now I had an instance in the past where I had a low 5V rail and it caused WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR's. This happened while both under load and idle. It'd happen several times in a day or disappear for a month. Real PITA to find out it was my high quality PSU. With that in mind it could be your PSU. Don't know if you have a spare around.

It isn't a buzz. It sounds like grinding type noise. Like a card in a bike wheel. Sometime it sounds like grinding.

The PSU I have is under warranty, so a replacement is on its way. The fan sound was enough to trigger an RMA.

So is your thinking the problem is either PSU, NVMe drive or...? I figure if I swap the psu, try a sata ssd to boot from and if nothing changes then the problem has to be mobo?

If that's the case then it's either something hitting you PSU fan blades or it has a bad bearing. If you know what you're doing this is something you could fix in house but it's generally not recommend to open your PSU.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

If that's the case then it's either something hitting you PSU fan blades or it has a bad bearing. If you know what you're doing this is something you could fix in house but it's generally not recommend to open your PSU.

And it would void my warranty. So I'll just wait for the replacement.

The system just crashed again while I was an hour and a half into my class. Just had a zoom meeting going for that time, nothing else happening. There was also no noise. :(

Nothing is hitting the fan. I verified that. 

Well, if you're "lucky" you'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone when the unit is replaced but I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm skeptical that the black screen and whirling fans are a PSU fault.

How long after introducing the current PSU did the crashes start?

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Well, if you're "lucky" you'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone when the unit is replaced but I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm skeptical that the black screen and whirling fans are a PSU fault.

I've had this PSU since the life of the system. Going back when this was originally a 1700x and an ASUS B350-F motherboard. 

34 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Ruled out the SSD, I think. Now that the crashing is occurring again, I ran apex when using the nvme and crashed. I then removed it and booted with my 1tb sata ssd and crashed in apex again. 

So it's not Windows, it's not the boot drive, it's probably not the PSU, you can try running MemTest86 to see if there's anything up with your RAM. From there you could try swapping your GPU.

Any other AICs? NICs? RAID cards? HBAs? Sound cards? Capture cards? Etc?

4 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

So it's not Windows, it's not the boot drive, it's probably not the PSU, you can try running MemTest86 to see if there's anything up with your RAM. From there you could try swapping your GPU.

Any other AICs? NICs? RAID cards? HBAs? Sound cards? Capture cards? Etc?

GPU was already swapped. A GTX 1070 was used, a 1080ti, a 1080 FE and a 1080 zotac mini. The problem is 100% not the GPU. 

No other cards. 

I have memtest on a usb. I'll run it now.