Failing to boot Linux Mint on external drive.

I’m a complete newbie when it comes to Linux so pardon my unfamiliarity. I have installed Linux Mint 20 on an external drive with the intent to boot from it. There is nothing else on the drive. But every time I try to boot with it, I get a “no boot media found” error. The OS actually installed on the computer is Windows 10 if it makes a difference. Any ideas to fix this?

4 minutes ago, Stlerfn said:

I’m a complete newbie when it comes to Linux so pardon my unfamiliarity. I have installed Linux Mint 20 on an external drive with the intent to boot from it. There is nothing else on the drive. But every time I try to boot with it, I get a “no boot media found” error. The OS actually installed on the computer is Windows 10 if it makes a difference. Any ideas to fix this?

Are you booting to the device or the partition? Sometimes a simple switch of booting location helps.

6 minutes ago, Stlerfn said:

How exactly did you make the boot media?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

10 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

How exactly did you make the boot media?

I used a USB drive with the iso on it, that seemed to work fine and successfully installed it on the drive.

13 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Are you booting to the device or the partition? Sometimes a simple switch of booting location helps.

How would I go about doing/checking that?

3 minutes ago, Stlerfn said:

How would I go about doing/checking that?

When the bios is loading either go into the bios or hit the key that gets you to the boot menu and select the drive (if that doesn't work select the partition).

Just now, Ohsnaps said:

When the bios is loading either go into the bios or hit the key that gets you to the boot menu and select the drive (if that doesn't work select the partition).

Would that be setting the boot order?

2 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Just and FYI my motherboard is a MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge WiFi if it helps you explain

6 minutes ago, Stlerfn said:

Just and FYI my motherboard is a MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge WiFi if it helps you explain

Alright how did you boot to the iso? Are you sure you installed it to that drive? When you boot your pc does the bios loading screen tell you the keys to load up the boot menu or just the bios? If you're in the bios select the drive from the boot menu.

4 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Alright how did you boot to the iso? Are you sure you installed it to that drive? When you boot your pc does the bios loading screen tell you the keys to load up the boot menu or just the bios? If you're in the bios select the drive from the boot menu.

I booted to the iso from a usb drive that I formatted for it. I’m confident that it installed to the right drive as I selected the drive from a menu and it’s name is distinct. I will have to check on the boot menu thing in the morning as it is now midnight where I am, and I will try it in the morning.

23 minutes ago, Stlerfn said:

I used a USB drive with the iso on it, that seemed to work fine and successfully installed it on the drive.

Use RUFUS to install the iso onto the drive. Writing the ISO doesn't always include boot partitions for linux.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

9 hours ago, Ohsnaps said:

I cannot find the boot menu for my motherboard

9 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Use RUFUS to install the iso onto the drive. Writing the ISO doesn't always include boot partitions for linux.

So I used RUFUS to install the ISO and when installing, I made my partitions like before except this time I got a warning about a missing Grub Boot partition I didn’t make before, I assume this might be the problem and I added another partition and am installing Linux now, will update when I have results

10 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Using RUFUS fixed my

problem, Linux Mint 20 is running smoothly on my external drive, thanks for the help