Low CPU performance & low utilisation on laptop

Hey guys,

I recently made a post about having bad performance in Gears 4 however I've realised this problem seems to be across my whole laptop.

Since doing a BIOS update the performance of my CPU has gone down and meaning my laptops performance in games has gone down dramatically. Using Hard Ware Monitor I can see that the CPU is reaching its normal frequency around 3.2-3.5 GHz but is reaching high temperatures around 75-85c on all the cores and both Hard Ware Monitor and MSI Afterburner show that the CPU utilisation is not maxed out, not seeing a core use more than about 65% utilisation but my framerates have basically halved. I know its the CPU limiting the framerate as the GPU utilisation is also low and the in built benchmark for Gears 4 shows that the CPU is the part limiting performance. 

What I've done so far to try and fix this problem was update windows, update all my drivers using the Lenovo Vantage software and uninstalling my graphics card drivers in device manager and then reinstalling them again using Nvidia Geforce Experience. I have also gone back to the BIOS version I was using before I was having problems however this has also not solved the problem.

I'm not sure if this is related but I've also noticed that for about 10 minutes after I boot into windows my CPU usage is at 100% by 'system' in task manager which I found out was coming from intelppm.sys which seems to be some intel power management thing. It's worth noting that my performance in games is still bad even after this stops. It's probably also worth mentioning that this laptop is only a couple of months old so I don't think it would be a thermal paste issue and the fan seems to be working all okay. 

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated and feel free to ask questions. I have included my laptops specs below and the windows version.

Laptop model: Lenovo IdeaPad 5 14IIL05

CPU: Intel i5-1035G1 

GPU: Nvidia mx350

RAM: 16gb 3200 MHz

Storage: 512gb SSD

Windows Version: Windows 10 Student 2004

well, check in bios to see if anything changed setting wise (hyperthread, powersaving features added ect) and check the nvidia gpu driver for powersaving mode as well. 

is the performance normal when the laptop is connected to the charger? as for the thermanl, well 80-90 is throttle temps or shutdown on some cpus so maybe dust in the case.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

i would go check the setting for power management and make sure that for your cpu and gpu are set to 100 min and max, and your power plan is set to high performance

power.jpg

14 minutes ago, Snowarch said:

well, check in bios to see if anything changed setting wise (hyperthread, powersaving features added ect) and check the nvidia gpu driver for powersaving mode as well. 

is the performance normal when the laptop is connected to the charger? as for the thermanl, well 80-90 is throttle temps or shutdown on some cpus so maybe dust in the case.

Doesn't seem like anything has been added or changed in terms of power options in the bios or nvidia.

And no the performance is poor even when the laptop is plugged in. And the thermals is confusing me as afterburner says theres the system is being thermally limited but Hard Ware monitor says its a utilisation limitation. Also if it was due to thermals would I not see the frequency fall to something below 3GHz as the base is 1GHz with a boost up to 3.6GHz?

35 minutes ago, Warp1942red said:

i would go check the setting for power management and make sure that for your cpu and gpu are set to 100 min and max, and your power plan is set to high performance

power.jpg

I don't seem to have those options and I've followed a few things online to try and get it back but none seem to be working? Maybe something to do with me being on Windows 10 Education or something to do with Lenovo removing different power options? 

Powerplan.png.b3f6f6df3bfc44b031625c5a6a61e162.png

5 hours ago, Jampot51 said:

I don't seem to have those options and I've followed a few things online to try and get it back but none seem to be working? Maybe something to do with me being on Windows 10 Education or something to do with Lenovo removing different power options? 

Powerplan.png.b3f6f6df3bfc44b031625c5a6a61e162.png

i dont think that your version of windows has anything to do with it honestly, maybe try looking at your power options in your bios now that its updated. make sure you have your performance options enabled

6 hours ago, Jampot51 said:

Doesn't seem like anything has been added or changed in terms of power options in the bios or nvidia.

And no the performance is poor even when the laptop is plugged in. And the thermals is confusing me as afterburner says theres the system is being thermally limited but Hard Ware monitor says its a utilisation limitation. Also if it was due to thermals would I not see the frequency fall to something below 3GHz as the base is 1GHz with a boost up to 3.6GHz?

it also might be that in the bios update they set a new thermal limit if they had feedback from many users having problems hitting TJmax