Gaming aside, what are the limitations of Linux-based free/open OSes?

I'm thinking of making a $200-350 USD HTPC/maybe light gaming computer for my mother who is stuck on cable tv currently. I'd like to know if I can cut out roughly $60-90 by going with Linux or something else purely for web browsing and Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, movies, and other similar online resources for movies and t.v. shows. I'm worried about compatibility with certain browsers or flash players, as well as possibly some APIs like DX8 to DX11 if a lower req game requires it (who knows, my mom might wanna play TF2 or The Sims).

If you have any recommendations for a casual user (my mother knows computers but not as well as a decade ago), feel free. I wouldn't hate for something to be easy to set up, understand and/or use either since I have no Ubuntu, Linux or similar experience *or knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

*Added in that.

Nothing! And ubunt is simple to use, you will only need the command line to do some configurations and to install some packages and the tutorials online are simple to understand.

P.S.: Don't you dare say MS Office, use wine.

i'm a potato

honestly your best bet is to get windows the "otherway" especially for your mum those may sound like simple things but linux just isnt all that simple and games like sims im pretty sure dont run on linux.

Nothing! And ubunt is simple to use, you will only need the command line to do some configurations and to install some packages and the tutorials online are simple to understand.

P.S.: Don't you dare say MS Office, use wine.

in my opinion Ubuntu still looks like ass

elementary OS is the only linux distro (and debian caiuse of steam OS i guess) which has the core of ubuntu and a UI that doesnt make me want to cut out my eyeballs xD although i have seen what 14 looks like so i cant speak on that

in my opinion Ubuntu still looks like ass

elementary OS is the only linux distro (and debian caiuse of steam OS i guess) which has the core of ubuntu and a UI that doesnt make me want to cut out my eyeballs xD although i have seen what 14 looks like so i cant speak on that

I love elementary OS too, very pretty. I said ubuntu but I mean ubuntu in general (ubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu, elementary...)

i'm a potato

You have Libre and Open Office, so Wine isn't really needed.

Some people don't like them (I do!) so they say it's a problem.

i'm a potato

I believe Netflix still does not run natively on Linux. Yes it is web based but I hear there is some browser plugin required that doesn't work on Linux. People have gotten it to work in wine if you don't mind going that route.

I believe Netflix still does not run natively on Linux. Yes it is web based but I hear there is some browser plugin required that doesn't work on Linux. People have gotten it to work in wine if you don't mind going that route.

http://namhuy.net/1867/how-to-install-netflix-on-ubuntu-linux-mint-and-fedora.html

??? does this not work?

just know that you will spend hours troubleshooting things

and if you don't know linux, "troubleshooting" means "copypasting code from the forums into the console hoping it will work"

Gaming is the only major limitation. Everything else has excellent alternatives (see topic in signature). 

LibreOffice is perfectly fine as a replacement for MS Word. It may not look the same, but it doesn't take long getting used to the functionality. It also uses open document formats, capable of reading/saving .doc and reading .docx (I absolutely despise docx, it's godawful and the main reason for compatibility issues). Make use of PDF and .RTF/.TXT/.DOC and compatibility issues vanish. Programs don't need to "look pretty", the interface needs to be intuitive, and LibreOffice fits that bill. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

It sounds like it is running silverlight in wine through your browser using pipelight.

Found another guide

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipelight-use-silverlight-in-your-linux.html

Best method I've seen so far.

Pipelight works perfectly.

Maybe go for a light Debian-based distro (or directly Debian), and install XBMC. I guess you'd be good to go.

Desktop : i5 3570K@4.3GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, Sapphire R9 290, 2*4Gb DDR3 1866mhz, Intel 335 180gb, 2*1tb, all wrapped up in a Corsair Air 540 and fed by a Seasonic Platinum P760,  Windows 8.1 Pro

Laptop : i7 4700MQ, 2*4gb DDR3 Sodimm 1600mhz, Nvidia GTX780m, 70% Gamut Full HD Matte Display, 2*128gb Sandisk Ultra Plus, 1*256gb mSATA Crucial M500, Fedora 20 & Windows 8.1 Pro