Poor Performance with Newer Graphics Cards - PSU?

br0dy

Hi guys. I've seen some high quality posts on this site which helped with many questions I had about selecting hardware for my build. So I figured I'd post here instead of the other sites. Here's my build :

i7-4770k overclocked recently per the guide on here to about 4.4gHz at 1.27V

CM Hyper Evo212 Black Edition cooler

ASUS Z87-A Motherboard

2 x 8gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz RAM

SAPPHIRE Pulse RX5600XT GPU

Samsung 970 PRO EVO nVME boot drive

Seagate Constellation 1TB storage drive

Corsair TX750W Power Supply

This all started when I wanted to upgrade my PC to play Half-Life: Alyx. Haven't upgraded my PC since originally building it around 2013. I started with the nVME drive. I am actually running this drive using a PCIe to NVME adapter on my 2nd PCI-E x16 slot with great performance of nearly 3GBPS transfer speeds. I still had my original Radeon HD7850 when I performed that upgrade. I noticed no performance issues with my regular games around that time (Half life 2, black mesa source, cs:go, etc.) running from the disk drive, HOWEVER; when I purchased a USED MSI Gaming X RX580 card, my system began to have absolutely terrible performance. This was around March 2020 so I attributed it to drivers. I spent days rolling back, doing clean installs with DDU, everything I could try when the PC wasn't being used. Cleaned out dust ( as I usually do every month ). Disabled overclocks. Checked ALL thermals, and all checked out great (everything in system running under 60C under load). Installed games onto the nVME. Deleted all configuration files for all games. Replaced CMOS battery for giggles. I would still get FPS drops down to about 80FPS and in some maps my computer would actually crash to a black screen requiring a hard restart. I was at my wit's end so I returned it and ended up getting a brand new Sapphire RX 5600 XT. The same issues persisted. I am wondering if my power supply is degraded, as when I do OCCT's PSU test I can hear the fan bearing is quite loud. I'm wondering if the load of the newer cards as opposed to the HD7850 (180w vs 150w) is enough to make a difference have degraded performance? But I don't see my 5600XT Downclocking at all ( seeing about 1700mhz under load) and all of my sensors on BIOS show very good voltages all within tolerance of the 12v, 3.3v, 5v ratings.

I have a brand new 650W power supply on order right now, but I want to prepare for the worst just in case that doesn't fix my issue. All insight is welcome as I have spent a considerable amount of time on this issue. Looking forward to seeing some ideas float around. Thanks guys.

Can't say I have a solution, but it doesn't look like A PSU issue.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

Did you ever DDU your drivers? The tx750 is a good unit and more than plenty for your pc.

Just now, jaslion said:

Did you ever DDU your drivers? The tx750 is a good unit and more than plenty for your pc.

DDU used multiple times (should have said that instead of 'clean install' in OP). 

Yes the 750W is plenty of wattage but the unit is 7 years old and makes a concerning noise when the fan is running on it.

1 minute ago, br0dy said:

DDU used multiple times (should have said that instead of 'clean install' in OP). 

Yes the 750W is plenty of wattage but the unit is 7 years old and makes a concerning noise when the fan is running on it.

Might as well try and see if the new psu solves the issue. Ever reinstalled windows or are you still on the og install?

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Might as well try and see if the new psu solves the issue. Ever reinstalled windows or are you still on the og install?

OG I suppose you could call it. But it was a fresh install on the nVME in December when I purchased it. Never did any goofy registry-level changes or anything. Power options have also been checked by the way to ensure none of the weird hibernating things are enabled that were known to cause issue with previous AMD drivers. I'm open to the idea of reinstalling but it's not really something I like doing to be honest. If the PSU doesn't work maybe I'll go that way next but it feels like hardware.

1 minute ago, br0dy said:

OG I suppose you could call it. But it was a fresh install on the nVME in December when I purchased it. Never did any goofy registry-level changes or anything. Power options have also been checked by the way to ensure none of the weird hibernating things are enabled that were known to cause issue with previous AMD drivers. I'm open to the idea of reinstalling but it's not really something I like doing to be honest. If the PSU doesn't work maybe I'll go that way next but it feels like hardware.

Since you ordered it anyways i'd say first try the psu if that doesn't fix it try a fresh install.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I wanted to just add an additional questions: The fact that my graphics card is running at PCI-E 3.0 8x should NOT be an issue correct? As it shares lanes with my nVME card. There's no reason the 5600xt would be saturated? Just don't want to go down that path just to waste time during troubleshooting. 

7 hours ago, br0dy said:

The fact that my graphics card is running at PCI-E 3.0 8x should NOT be an issue correct? As it shares lanes with my nVME card. There's no reason the 5600xt would be saturated? Just don't want to go down that path just to waste time during troubleshooting.

it would be hard to imagine that a 5600XT could saturate pcie3.0 x8, but there's no harm trying to allocate it x16 right?

that was one of my guess as well while reading this post, because normally a power delivery issue would cause a soft crash, or just outright power down, not fps drop

unstable PCIE signal could cause fps drops tho

you could also try installing the gpu in another slot

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

On 7/13/2020 at 4:47 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

I've read your thread. 

It's not the PSU. And if you believed that, you'd probably already had gotten a new one.

You also suffer from having just a really old architecture. 

Whatcha think? Half the IPC of a 9900K if even that??

No, you gentlemen are just do for an upgrade to something a little more modern honestly. 

And sorry for being forth coming. Just laying the truths on the table, your chips suck for todays computing. :P

As much as I hate to admit this guy is right. I'm starting to think he's right :)

I installed the new PSU. Beautiful Antec 650W unit. Really glad I purchased it. And I installed my nVME onto the PCI 2.0 slot so it wouldn't steal lanes from my GPU. No change!

Really open to any other ideas people have at this point!