Buying a GPU from the US/Canada to the UK.

Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience of buying a gpu from the US/Canada and having it delivered to them in the UK?

I'm interested to know what import tax was like as the value of a new high end GPU in the states is so much lower than the UK. Would it be worth paying the import duty to make a saving?

I get warranties and returns might not be valid, but I'd be interested to see the mark up.

https://www.simplyduty.com/calculate-uk-import-duty-taxes/

Not from UK, but looking up how the import taxes work it looks like it's not worth it and probably why they are much lower price here.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Bear in mind that customs can be hit and miss. I ordered a metal bucket from the US once by accident and customs destroyed it because it was "suspicious". You probably won't be entitled to a refund either as you have nothing to return.

It will probably be fine but you might get unlucky and lose a few hundred quid. It's better to just buy a used one off of ebay.

Basically anything bought outside our current customs zone (effectively still EU) will be liable to VAT at current rate (20%), and there may be duty too (depends on product). Whoever delivers the parcel will likely take another chunk as their processing fee. The rates from memory were typically £8.50 for Royal Mail, or £13-ish for Parcelforce, but this is quite likely out of date as I've not imported anything in a long time. The likes of UPS/FedEx etc. will be on the upper end of that. 

Couriers will always charge. RM/PF don't 100% charge, but expect them to do so, and count yourself lucky if they don't for any reason.

Generally speaking if you apply VAT to US pricing, it doesn't work out that different from UK pricing anyway. IMO not worth the pain and risk. The only times I'd do it is if the item was not available locally so you don't have a choice. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible