Recently got a VG279Q, Random Game crashes or lockups

Sir Pugsolot

Ever since I've switched to 144hertz for gaming, my games will either freeze with other applications still working or my entire computer will lock up. I have no clue why and I have changed some of my overclocking settings for my CPU including lower the voltage to auto instead of a manual (on a asus motherboard). I thought it might be because of my cpu but am not sure anymore.

I have a i5-7600k overclocked to 4.8ghz and I got a 1660 ti that's slightly overclocked

If anyone has any idea why it could be doing this would be greatly appreciated, Can't even open rainbow six siege without it locking up my computer

One thought that occurs to me is a possible port problem.  Not all port, or cables can handle high throughout.

Need computer specs to have an idea.  A change in frame rate causing a problem is more likely to be gpu than cpu and a machine starting, running, and then locking up is more likely to be memory than gpu.  Still more likely is software stuff, at least lately.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I lowered my GPU clock speed slightly and I think it has fixed it for now but haven't tested it in all of the games that it occured in. I got a cable for the monitor that supported 1080p and 144hertz so I don't believe thats the issue.

I have z270-a prime motherboard, with 16gb of tridentz 3200 and I've never once had a problem with my ram

23 minutes ago, Sir Pugsolot said:

I lowered my GPU clock speed slightly and I think it has fixed it for now but haven't tested it in all of the games that it occured in. I got a cable for the monitor that supported 1080p and 144hertz so I don't believe thats the issue.

I have z270-a prime motherboard, with 16gb of tridentz 3200 and I've never once had a problem with my ram

Was there a gpu overclock?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

yeah, I lowered it but not fully sure it has solved it yet but it seems to be working for now

my gpu being overclocked too much could explain the freezes and maybe the lockups (?) not quite sure

Very much so.  That would have been part of those specs I mentioned.