I7-3930k in 2020

Budget (including currency): 1500 Euro

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Development (Java EE, Android), Gaming (mainly CSGO with need for constant > 144fps)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Current Rig( i7-3930k, GTX 1060, 24GB Ram DDR3)

Benchmark for my system: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/30524380

Hey all,

Currently I think about upgrading my PC cause I "only" get around 150-160 fps in CSGO. Due to the fact that I play on a 144hz Monitor thats quite an issue, also dropping under 144fps, which happens often when I get peeked, feels extremly chunky.

Also my current Rig (see above) is quiet aged now, so I don´t feel sorry to spend some money, the only question is if its worth it.

I looked up the speed difference between my current CPU and a 3700x Ryzen (which I think would be the CPU of choice, correct me if I´m wrong) and its not that big 

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3930K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X/1487vs4043

So if I look at my the results from my system (also above), should I upgrade my graphics card only and skip the CPU/Plattform upgrade to maybe later go with an Ryzen 4xxx (at least if it´s worth it)?

For work use (coding) it´s fast enough for some years, so Gaming is the main concern. Are there any factors that come into play other then raw performance?

Hope you can help me with this desicion :)

Greetings Pascal

Do not trust userbenchmark at all. A 3700x will be much faster than your current processor. If I remember correctly, amd is also significantly better when compiling code.

That said, I would wait a few months for ryzen 4000 and new GPUs to come out and upgrade then.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

You don't need a 3700x for gaming, but it'll definitely be worth your while for your development work. I do .NET Core dev, with heavy use of Docker and Kubernetes, and the 3700x chews through my builds.

I really doubt the 1060 is slowing you down in CS:GO, especially since you seem to only be dipping frames when the CPU comes into play. You could probably keep the card for now, if you wanted to save some upfront cost.

You didn't mention the clocks on your RAM, but DDR3 only goes so fast. Upgrading to something like 32 GB of 3600Mhz DDR4, would also make a marked difference for your gaming and development workflows. 32 GB may not be strictly necessary, but based on the fact that you're doing development work and already have 24 GB, it would be a safer bet than 16GB. You can go lower on the RAM MHz, but I'd put the floor at 3200. 3600 is just the sweet spot for Zen 2, due to the infinity fabric clock.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, Brave Little Toaster said:

Budget (including currency): 1500 Euro

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Development (Java EE, Android), Gaming (mainly CSGO with need for constant > 144fps)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Current Rig( i7-3930k, GTX 1060, 24GB Ram DDR3)

Benchmark for my system: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/30524380

Hey all,

Currently I think about upgrading my PC cause I "only" get around 150-160 fps in CSGO. Due to the fact that I play on a 144hz Monitor thats quite an issue, also dropping under 144fps, which happens often when I get peeked, feels extremly chunky.

Also my current Rig (see above) is quiet aged now, so I don´t feel sorry to spend some money, the only question is if its worth it.

I looked up the speed difference between my current CPU and a 3700x Ryzen (which I think would be the CPU of choice, correct me if I´m wrong) and its not that big 

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3930K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X/1487vs4043

So if I look at my the results from my system (also above), should I upgrade my graphics card only and skip the CPU/Plattform upgrade to maybe later go with an Ryzen 4xxx (at least if it´s worth it)?

For work use (coding) it´s fast enough for some years, so Gaming is the main concern. Are there any factors that come into play other then raw performance?

Hope you can help me with this desicion :)

Greetings Pascal

I would recommend the upgrade to an AM4 socket B450 motherboard with a Ryzen 9 3900X for best cores/performance per the dollar if it's manageable within your budget. A GTX 1060 is still a pretty decent GPU, and would recommend holding off on upgrading that for now, maybe wait for Nvidia's 3000 series of GPUs or AMD's next competing GPU lineup.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch