Intel more reliable than AMD?

4 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Thanks, so given our budget for this "client" (we aren't getting paid, we are just volunteering), would you pick the AMD or Intel build, or do you have a different build in mind.

Both are very reliable and both still in business.

The focus would be on quality of motherboard, GPU if using any and Drives. 

Fans are good to look at, needing reliability, don't get single bearing fans like most stock heat sinks have.....

Stuff like that builds a system. The cpu is only a small part to focus on.

41 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Both are very reliable and both still in business.

The focus would be on quality of motherboard, GPU if using any and Drives. 

Fans are good to look at, needing reliability, don't get single bearing fans like most stock heat sinks have.....

Stuff like that builds a system. The cpu is only a small part to focus on.

Yes, thanks I do know that the cpu is a small part to focus on, thanks for reminding me of that. Here are our two builds, 

Intel (the one he and I did): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M3FLQq

AMD (by @SavageNeo : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KFFNCL

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

13 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Yes, thanks I do that the cpu is a small part to focus on, thanks for reminding my of that. Here are our two builds, 

Intel (the one he and I did): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M3FLQq

AMD (by @SavageNeo : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KFFNCL

Keep it up I'll remind you again.

Ah so it's not Intel vs AMD

Its Intel 8400 vs AMD 3600.

Well the 3600 would be the build for a customer. You can easily sell that because it's just more power efficient vs the 8400 being a couple generations old now.l

However neither build catches my eye. There's no NVidia graphics cards.....

I assume when people are not computer-literate, that means they struggle with windows and don't even get to the point that RAM timings would be an issue.......

With quality PSU, board, RAM and cooling and no overclocking or other fooling around.... there is no difference in reliability. Selecting a quality board with the fewest features may be good, fewer features, less to set up wrong. 

21 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Keep it up I'll remind you again.

Ah so it's not Intel vs AMD

Its Intel 8400 vs AMD 3600.

Well the 3600 would be the build for a customer. You can easily sell that because it's just more power efficient vs the 8400 being a couple generations old now.l

However neither build catches my eye. There's no NVidia graphics cards.....

Ok, if you have time, maybe you could suggest a build?

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

Just now, birdflyer said:

Ok, if you have time, maybe you could suggest a build?

Well I have some time....

What's the use and budget?

Are you guys in the US or should I stick to parts picker?

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

We are in the US, but would like to stay to Amazon as much as possible.  The Build is for a Church in Nocatee Alaska, all I am told is the following:

It needs to last around 7 years (I know that a pc can last that long, although not for sure)

It will be used for some graphic design and  "Heavy" research. 

I know lots of text documents of many different types are used

It must have wifi and bluetooth

it must be under $1200 including peripherals and monitor (Note: the peripherals must be the ones below as this is what the "Customer" wants)

Peripherals: 

RAZER MAMBA WIRELESS

Arteck 2.4G Wireless Keyboard Stainless Steel Ultra Slim Full Size Keyboard

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

PS: I understand why you might not think we are from the US with my terrible mistakes (now edited) in one of my previous posts 😂

The lastest generation amd's CPU is much more reliable, but if he still keeps on his mind, just choose intel for him.

31 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

We are in the US, but would like to stay to Amazon as much as possible.  The Build is for a Church in Nocatee Alaska, all I am told is the following:

It needs to last around 7 years (I know that a pc can last that long, although not for sure)

It will be used for some graphic design and  "Heavy" research. 

I know lots of text documents of many different types are used

It must have wifi and bluetooth

it must be under $1200 including peripherals and monitor (Note: the peripherals must be the ones below as this is what the "Customer" wants)

Peripherals: 

RAZER MAMBA WIRELESS

Arteck 2.4G Wireless Keyboard Stainless Steel Ultra Slim Full Size Keyboard

1200$ including keyboard mouse and monitor but want graphics design capable??

So you want to build around the biggest GPU possible. 

Let me sit at my desk and research. See what I come up with.

OK built on RTX 2060. Board choice was based on wifi and blue tooth built in while the links you provided had no such hardware and wasn't completed. Yeah, it's Itx, but has some of the bells and whistles that are desired right built in.

So I altered a few things from the AMD build link that you had given me earlier.

Really, the budget is small for needing so much hardware. Leave out the keyboard monitor mouse ect, would be able to do something a little better.

So without further delay. Here's that link.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QYRdRk

Remember you can alter this move things around w/e you need to do for the budget.

Good Luck.

5 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

OK built on RTX 2060. Board choice was based on wifi and blue tooth built in while the links you provided had no such hardware and wasn't completed. Yeah, it's Itx, but has some of the bells and whistles that are desired right built in.

So I altered a few things from the AMD build link that you had given me earlier.

Really, the budget is small for needing so much hardware. Leave out the keyboard monitor mouse ect, would be able to do something a little better.

Remember you can alter this move things around w/e you need to do for the budget.

Good Luck.

worse motherboard. worse case. worse gpu (price wise). worse storages. nothing wrong with 5600XT. it is pretty much rtx 2060 but cheaper. And dont talk bullshit about the drivers, they are 95% fixed rught now

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

7 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

worse motherboard. worse case. worse gpu (price wise). worse storages. nothing wrong with 5600XT. it is pretty much rtx 2060 but cheaper. And dont talk bullshit about the drivers, they are 95% fixed rught now

Man your not seeing what's going on. 

The board was down graded from 8+2 to 6 VRM. But was able to squeeze in blue tooth and wifi.

1200$ must included monitor keyboard and mouse with blue tooth and wifi cards.

And I didn't say a fucking thing about AMD drivers. It took them over 10 years to finally fix drivers. There's nothing to talk shit about.

Now you build it.

GLHF

15 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Good Luck.

Hey thanks for all that. Quite honestly, it's very light graphics design. We are mostly trying to get the best all around system that will last the longest. 

Thanks everyone I will take everyone's build into consideration, might tweek it a bit, but I liked all of your guys's builds. Thanks

9 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

Hey, thanks for pointing this out. I did realize this, and partially agree as I personally have a RX 590 and haven't had any issues. However, I also have had several NVIDIA gpus and they are great to. For reliability I may hand it to NVIDIA as they have (what seems like) better over all reliability. But we may end up going with a card from AMD, we may just have to see what the "client" wants.

BTW, Thank you @ShrimpBrime and @SavageNeo for both of your help.

@SavageNeo, I am not throwing your build under the bus, I simply wanted another opinion on the build for around this price range. 

Once again thanks for all your guys's help 

1 minute ago, birdflyer said:

I am not throwing your build under the bus, I simply wanted another opinion on the build for around this price range.

No problem. I asked other people's opinions too.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

19 hours ago, xg32 said:

it's just a matter of probability, if there are 100 intel builds and 100 amds, i'm willing to bet money that the amd side will have more that won't boot/minor problems. 

Correlation isnt causation. Amds competitiveness causes more young / 1st time / budget builders (with budget compoments besides the cpu), a recipy for rookie mistakes. A experienced and or prof builder will post 1st time without issues.

19 hours ago, xg32 said:

Early in zen 1 even if people followed the qvl some chips just didn't do 3200

Only since 3000 series combined with new (some?) New mobos 3200 is now the upper limit for "non-oc" frequency (jedec standard). On any earlier parts combo, 3200 is an OC with no guarantees whatsover.

19 hours ago, xg32 said:

My problems with z170-z390? uhhh...

Id rather take a bios update to improve boost speed over one that nervs my processor because of the 137th security issue with it :)

19 hours ago, xg32 said:

3600 is a great deal, the 3950x is the best in class outside of gaming, and I do plan on getting zen 3, but i do expect problems.

why? Its just a cpu.

19 hours ago, xg32 said:

someone says they just want a functioning pc, and they are building themselves without help, i cannot in good conscience recommend amd without telling them it has a higher chance of problems.

id advise them not to oc anything, inc. Staying within jedec offical ram limits, and not to pick bottom of the barrel crap components / case, and especially: take their time and if in doubt consult manuals or forum. I think that kind of advice prevents a lot more issues than platform/brand choice.

34 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

BTW, Thank you @ShrimpBrime and @SavageNeo for both of your help.

@SavageNeo, I am not throwing your build under the bus, I simply wanted another opinion on the build for around this price range. 

Once again thanks for all your guys's help 

Welcome. Just trying to help dispite other people's opinions. Tried to focus on the build and the budget.

The cpu I'm impartial to. I have 20 year old AMD and Intel builds that still fire up to this day. That's a non issue.

Figure in 1-2 years even the RTX 2060 will be left behind. A 5600xt also. Either would be fine.

The tough part was budget for monitor mouse keyboard.... I'd rock that build though. It's really similar to mine. It'll handle 4K for quite a while.