Reinstalling Windows

Rienks
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

Minitool partition manager and Macrium Reflect are commonly used programs to transfer the install across.

So I have a new drive and I have decided that I will be installing a fresh copy of windows on it and installing it into my pc. However, my SSD which I previously installed Windows on has all my desktop icons and my HDD is the main storage drive for my downloads, documents and videos folders. How would I go about relocating them? As in like moving my desktop icons etc to my new drive while still linking them to the program they are suppose to open?

Thanks

Do you play football/soccer?

Cause you look like a left-back

If you do a fresh install you reinstall all programs and set everything up the way you want from scratch. 

Linking the folders on the HDD is done the same way you did last time. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

23 minutes ago, Rienks said:

So I have a new drive and I have decided that I will be installing a fresh copy of windows on it and installing it into my pc. However, my SSD which I previously installed Windows on has all my desktop icons and my HDD is the main storage drive for my downloads, documents and videos folders. How would I go about relocating them? As in like moving my desktop icons etc to my new drive while still linking them to the program they are suppose to open?

Thanks

What make of drive is the new one?

Unless the previous install is horribly broke, you should be able to migrate it to the new drive.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

My advice: just setup a fresh Windows and install the applications you (really) use and configure your system as you wish. You will  get rid of a lot of stuff you don't need anymore. It's like moving into a new house...

But, some things are worth saving! Depending on the programs you use. Like bookmarks/favorites, mail databases, savegames etc. These are often stored in your profile. Make sure you have at least one backup of your profile data (normally under C:\Users\<username>).

And keep the old disk until you are sure you got everything you needed.

14 hours ago, Eighjan said:

What make of drive is the new one?

Unless the previous install is horribly broke, you should be able to migrate it to the new drive.

So my old one is a standard SSD and I am buying a M.2 Drive. I asked before and someone recommended just a fresh install of Windows. I was thinking about migrating or something along those lines but I am not sure what would be the best way (like program wise) to do so.

Do you play football/soccer?

Cause you look like a left-back

Minitool partition manager and Macrium Reflect are commonly used programs to transfer the install across.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2