Is it possible to upgrade panels on old TVs?

DevlosMaxima

I have this old Sony Bravia from back when 1080p flat screens were first introduced so she's a thicc boi. I was wondering I saw some videos linus did making his own monitor and I was wondering if it's possible to apply something like that to upgrade the display on this TV.

Theoretically yeah, if the assembly fits in the box, it should work. I don't know how cost and time effective it would be to do so vs. just buying a new TV, but it is possible.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

If you wanna use the same motherboard, NO. I'm assuming you wanna use higher resolution like 4k.

If the resolution is the same it might work. The next problem is to get the same LVDS cable, this may not be interchangeable between brands / panel.

If you wanna upgrade to 4k, you can:

- get the same size 4k panel.

- a universal 4k lcd board.

- a universal lcd backlite inverter panel.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

On 7/10/2020 at 10:06 AM, SupaKomputa said:

If you wanna use the same motherboard, NO. I'm assuming you wanna use higher resolution like 4k.

If the resolution is the same it might work. The next problem is to get the same LVDS cable, this may not be interchangeable between brands / panel.

If you wanna upgrade to 4k, you can:

- get the same size 4k panel.

- a universal 4k lcd board.

- a universal lcd backlite inverter panel.

I am not after 4K actually I just want to fix the screen damage....then again its kind of weird its like the screen melted I think the previous owner of my TV never turned it off and that caused it to overheat and melt the screen in one spot.  4k to me is kinda pointless my eye sight cant really tell past 1080p the difference.

melted like what? wrinkled ? this is a common problem for old lcd tv.

if it's wrinkled, it's easy to repair. you can just replace the top layer called the polarizer film.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w