WiFi mesh problems?

Joey96

Hey guys!

So lately I've been testing out different mesh system that best matches my gigabit fiber net. The reason I'm choosing this, is because I don't want any cables between my router and my desktop, which is located in another room. So I've tried the solution by placing a satelite on my desk, lan cabled to my desktop and the router in the living room. The rooms are next to each other, so its not too far away either..

Problem I've had so far:

Setup not reaching maximum speed even though the product should be capable

The satelite will be limited to speeds below 50 mbit until i restart it, and then it reaches 700 mbit + again

Does anyone know if these are normal problems? Many tells me that one reason is because of "bad weak mesh systems". But the ones I've tried are the Orbi Netgear RBK50 AC3000 and right now I have the asus zenWiFi AX XT8. These both should be more than enough for my gigabit gaming.... Hope someone can help! This is very frustrating needing to restart the router all the time just to game or download stuff... 

36 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what speeds do you get?

it ois very hard to get gigabit over wifi, even with new access points.

Something like 700+, but thats alright, the most frustrating thing is that the speed degrades and then it ends up being max 50 mbit. I then need to restart the satelite to reach 700+ speed again. The reboot is needed everyday, which is so frustrating... shouldnt it just work?

29 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

Something like 700+, but thats alright, the most frustrating thing is that the speed degrades and then it ends up being max 50 mbit. I then need to restart the satelite to reach 700+ speed again. The reboot is needed everyday, which is so frustrating... shouldnt it just work?

700 mbit is very good for wifi.

As for the speeds dropping, I don't know enough to know the exact issue. Did the speeds drop on both of the units you tried?

Also do you have coax in your house? You can use moca if you do.

And really try to run a ethernet cable if you can, its much better than wifi, and will keep the speeds higher for the device that can't be wired in.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

700 mbit is very good for wifi.

As for the speeds dropping, I don't know enough to know the exact issue. Did the speeds drop on both of the units you tried?

Also do you have coax in your house? You can use moca if you do.

And really try to run a ethernet cable if you can, its much better than wifi, and will keep the speeds higher for the device that can't be wired in.

No the speed only dropped on the satelite, its like something is hogging up the satelite processor and making it slow, until i restart it and its all clean... its annoying, also happend with my old RBK50

2 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

No the speed only dropped on the satelite, its like something is hogging up the satelite processor and making it slow, until i restart it and its all clean... its annoying, also happend with my old RBK50

Since it happened with both units, I think its a different issue than the units themselvs.

Also why not just add a wifi card to your desktop?

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Since it happened with both units, I think its a different issue than the units themselvs.

Also why not just add a wifi card to your desktop?

Hmm I think also because the mesh network extends my WiFi range so it covers everything

I have a Netgear Orbi RBK853  system connected directly to my Fiber ONT (940/940Mbps) and I get ~935/935Mbps Hardwired, 866 or 433 on the Limited 5GHz band. Slower devices usually get 100% of their capable connection speeds. Channel 157 with a varied spread is used as a backhaul that eats up that tier and the upper channels. But they also stop 5GHz at Channel 48. We're hoping that they open more higher up channels eventually. My Satellites are not typically installed. They are farther than the recommended 30ish feet on three different levels of the house and the Router is on the bottom of the pile against a brick wall. But the Sats have no issues connecting. Anything that is hardwired to the APs gets plenty of bandwidth as do those on the WLAN, even on the 4th of July in my neighbors living room ~175 feet away and through many brick walls, so it was easy to easily change the music in my backyard using a 150Mbps tablet. Although they tend to jump around a lot from AP to AP.

There was a NAT issue with gaming consoles, but that was supposedly dealt with in a FW update. They're expensive but all new tech (AX) is in the beginning. But if you are an early adopter, need or want the tech, that's the price one has to pay. And these things are getting to be quite pricey. They just released the RBK7xx series that is not cheap, but not as expensive and just a step below. You might go take a look at both.

On 7/9/2020 at 9:26 PM, FarmerBob said:

I have a Netgear Orbi RBK853  system connected directly to my Fiber ONT (940/940Mbps) and I get ~935/935Mbps Hardwired, 866 or 433 on the Limited 5GHz band. Slower devices usually get 100% of their capable connection speeds. Channel 157 with a varied spread is used as a backhaul that eats up that tier and the upper channels. But they also stop 5GHz at Channel 48. We're hoping that they open more higher up channels eventually. My Satellites are not typically installed. They are farther than the recommended 30ish feet on three different levels of the house and the Router is on the bottom of the pile against a brick wall. But the Sats have no issues connecting. Anything that is hardwired to the APs gets plenty of bandwidth as do those on the WLAN, even on the 4th of July in my neighbors living room ~175 feet away and through many brick walls, so it was easy to easily change the music in my backyard using a 150Mbps tablet. Although they tend to jump around a lot from AP to AP.

There was a NAT issue with gaming consoles, but that was supposedly dealt with in a FW update. They're expensive but all new tech (AX) is in the beginning. But if you are an early adopter, need or want the tech, that's the price one has to pay. And these things are getting to be quite pricey. They just released the RBK7xx series that is not cheap, but not as expensive and just a step below. You might go take a look at both.

I'm glad you're telling me good speeds on the RBK853. Right now I'm only using the Asus Mesh until i get the RBK752 i ordered, so i hope the lan speed to the satelites would be good!

Is there any specific settings that i should change to get optimal performance at all times when my RBK752 arrives? Or just default settings is more than good enough?

Edited by Joey96
Wanted to ask FarmerBob for some tips