Best virtual machine program for Mint?

Hello, I was wondering what would be the best program to create a virtual machine on mint to run windows 98 (I want to play some old games)?

I'm running Linux Mint 19.03 right now

Thank you for your answers!

Virtual Box is easy to set up, there is also QEMU but I am not a big fan of it due to being just too hard to set up.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, TwilightLink said:

Hello, I was wondering what would be the best program to create a virtual machine on mint to run windows 98 (I want to play some old games)?

I'm running Linux Mint 19.03 right now

Thank you for your answers!

I've played with all the free VM systems out there and find VMWare to be the easiest to set up with minimal performance impact to the VM and host.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I personally recommend Virtual Machine Manager + libvirt + qemu

Otherwise Virtual Box is simpler to configure.

Im unfamiliar with ubuntu so you would have to look up how to set that up.

If your just wanting to run old games, especially win 98 era, there is a good chance it will run under wine

Edited by Nayr438

Thanks for all the answers!

25 minutes ago, Levent said:

Virtual Box is easy to set up, there is also QEMU but I am not a big fan of it due to being just too hard to set up.

I might try that one, I think I used it a few years ago when i tried linux for the first time

25 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I've played with all the free VM systems out there and find VMWare to be the easiest to set up with minimal performance impact to the VM and host.

I've seen that online while checking google, maybe I will try it alongside virtual box to see what I like best

5 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I personally recommend Virtual Machine Manager + libvirt + qemu

Otherwise Virtual Box is simpler to configure.

Im unfamiliar with ubuntu so you would have to look up how to set that up.

I might try virtual box to start, I want something easy to configure, it's just to mess around with windows 98

There's Virtualbox (either in the repositories, or an updated one available on virtualbox.org). I would say the most fully-featured one for free.

There's also VMware Player. This to me offers the best performance and graphics emulation.

I personally like the look of GNOME Boxes, but the underlying software stack is Qemu/KVM. They are the most difficult to set up, but if you do it properly, the performance can trump any of the above mentioned -- KVM is a Type 1 Hypervisor (Hardware emulation); while Virtualbox and VMware are Type 2 Hypervisors (Software emulation).

For Windows 98, unsure if DOSBox is what you might be looking for. https://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=a

Some games can run well on WINE as well (if you are willing to go that far). E.g. the original Roller Coaster Tycoon works well on WINE for me.

Windows 98 ISO/floppy can be found at https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-98/98-second-edition

Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad S540, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800U, RAM: 16GB, GPU: Vega 8, SSD: WD OEM 512GB, OS: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Keys: Logitech MX Keys, Mouse: Logitech G G304, Disp: Lenovo ThinkVision M14/HP m23f, Gamepads: DualShock 4, 8bitdo SN30 Pro, Consoles: NES

~ Tetris (NES) ~ Tetris Effect (PC) ~ Puyo Puyo Tetris 1/2 ~ Tetris (Android) ~ Crypt of the NecroDancer ~ Celeste ~ Roller Coaster Tycoon ~