hey, i want to build a mini itx and was looking at the 3950x to run 2x 8 core pc. 1x normal gaming rig and the other one to run a couple of server, but i was wondering if the second one had to have a gpu too or if i could control it without one. cause if it need one i need to give up either the 2 pc idea or the mini itx one :/

theres no such thing as a single cpu running two seperate machines , it's only a single socket chip thus it only goes in one board

10 minutes ago, gaua24 said:

hey, i want to build a mini itx and was looking at the 3950x to run 2x 8 core pc. 1x normal gaming rig and the other one to run a couple of server, but i was wondering if the second one had to have a gpu too or if i could control it without one. cause if it need one i need to give up either the 2 pc idea or the mini itx one :/

Assuming you want to do all this with virtualization, yes. You "need" one graphics output per OS. 

You can get around this with headless software (Proxmox, Freenas, etc), but you need a graphics output to set it up. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

If you don't mind virtualizing the servers you can use it in one PC. The only downside would be being unable to turn it off. AKA if you run them as VMs then your idea would work.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

theres no such thing as a single cpu running two seperate machines , it's only a single socket chip thus it only goes in one board

Uh, That's what virtualization is. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

3 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

Uh, That's what virtualization is. 

Virtualization isn't a single chip running two machines , it's a single chip on a single machine running two operating systems.

Sure you can stack as many os's on top of each other as you like but that isn't what they asked.

20 minutes ago, gaua24 said:

3950x to run 2x 8 core pc

this config here is what they are asking about. and the chip can't be split like this from a hardware level between two machines.

You can do it as a single pc and just set affinity in software while emulating another pc but thats about it.

10 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

<removed>
have you ever watched the 7 gamers 1 CPU video? That's what hes asking to do something similar with.

@gaua24 you can run a hypervisor on the bare metal and assign your graphics card to your main thing if you only need remote SSH access into the VMs.

thanks, i didn't know what was a hypervisor :P

-> Moved to Servers and NAS

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv