Maximum processor state 99/100% toggle function?

Tl:dr at bottom

I have an hp omen laptop, 17-an012dx specifically, rx 580, i7-7700, 12gb ram, $1000 best buy black friday deal 3 years ago, still running great, but they all run a little hot. When i first got it i looked into it because 50c idle cpu temps, 90c when gaming, and 75c with 40% cpu usage, seemed a bit high just doing normal pc stuff, chrome, discord, music, video playing etc. I also noticed the speed reading at around 3400mhz even though its an unclocked 2.8 processor.

So, i found out its normal for these laptops and it was because of Intel's turbo boost feature which turns on when cpu usage hits 100%. I guess it just stays on for way longer than needed after having a short 100% spike, running faster and hotter for no reason. Then i found a thing saying to limit the maximum processor state to 99% and that will disable the turbo.

To do that its simple but its like 10 clicks, ain't no body got time for 10 clicks...

Control Panel >

Hardware and Sound >

Power Options >

Change plan settings (right side) >

Change advanced power settings >

+ Processor power management >

+ Maximum processor state

Click an arrow

Click apply

Click a close it...

So i did that and temps were around 55-65 max during normal use, no noticable slowness or anything. Even gaming wouldnt get past 75. But, i wasnt playing any cpu intensive games and totally forgot about it, skip to three years later now...

Picked up assassin's creed origins for $7.50, interwebs say i should be able to get 40-50fps 1080p. Even on low 720p it was barely 30fps and super unstable... Googling issues randomly led to a thing about Intel turbo boost again, switched it back to 100% and now it runs super solid 40fps 1080 on high/extra high settings, 90c, fan screaming, but i figure its fine for a few hours at a time at least, never seen it more than 91c.

Tl:dr

Is there a program or way to make a clickable desktop shortcut of a script that toggles "Maximum processor state" between 99 and 100%? Or a way to add the function for individual games like a Steam launch options type of deal?

The temps are fine. Your cpu's max temp is 105c so still below it. Your gpu is also below the threshold. They will automatically decide to lower the boostclock when needed or when running too hot so don't worry. Ever cleaned the laptop? That will be a big help removing dust from inside the fan and heatsink.

Right on, makes me more comfortable playing for longer periods now. I havent ever cleaned it actually, been thinking about upgrading the ssd and ram, probably do it all then. But even with the warm normal use temps being okay, the fans are sort of loud when it gets over 75c doing normal stuff, like one level lower than max fan speed, with turbo off its barely noticable and only ramps up one level a couple times an hour if that.

22 minutes ago, CynicalCreator said:

Right on, makes me more comfortable playing for longer periods now. I havent ever cleaned it actually, been thinking about upgrading the ssd and ram, probably do it all then. But even with the warm normal use temps being okay, the fans are sort of loud when it gets over 75c doing normal stuff, like one level lower than max fan speed, with turbo off its barely noticable and only ramps up one level a couple times an hour if that.

That's just laptops in general. They are all loud when under load. That's also why they let temps get so high, they try to run the fan as slow as possible.

Taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning will help. I also highly recommend getting some good thermal paste and repasting the GPU and CPU. Maybe even do liquid metal if you are comfortable with it. I'd definitely do conformal coating since it's a laptop if you go with liquid metal, seeing that it's conductive.

I recently cleaned and repasted my mom's old laptop with some Noctua H2 I had sitting around and it helped a ton. She had screaming fan syndrome when she would browse the internet or Skype with the grandkids.