Why Don't Developers Optimise Games For Pcs As Much As They Do For Consoles?

These days some high-end cards can sometimes even struggle playing the latest games all maxed out. For example Metro 2033 or the original Crysis, and even GTA IV. Why has it taken YEARS after the launch of the game when graphics cards can finally at least run it at a constant 60FPS all maxed out. Why not play a game the way it's meant to be played? ( Nvidia :P )

The problem with optimising games for PCs is that there is such a diverse range of hardware (different graphics card, different mother board, different cpus.) With consoles on the other hand there are two sets of hardware (xbox and playstation). As a result of this, when designing games for pcs this has to be taken into account. As far as I know this is the primary reason for games not being as optimised on pc. 

LOL.

because pc gaming isn't where all the money is at, thats why.

i doubt pc gaming even has 10% of the current market. why? because who wants to build a 500+ dollar system when they can get a 199$ system and play with all of their buddies? most don't even know the graphics are 10x better in their pc format. not to mention that hardware is nowhere near as static as consoles have ever been. why? because you don't change console hardware.

xbox360 systems specs: not changed since release

pc system specs varied from person to person in the past 6 years? : impossible to find out all the combinations.

which is why for a company/developer console is 10x better. NOW that the ps4 is more like a traditional pc in the hardware sense, we may actually see people port DOWN, but i'd still hazard to say that most will still consider pc as an afterthought.

Very true. It would take them years and years to code their games for the variety of computer hardware out there. But speaking of consoles, their hardware is so old! Yet can still run the latest games, albeit at a lower res.  It would be awesome if there was a PC exclusive game, where the FPS goes crazy even maxed out

There are plenty of pc exclusive games. I really think that into the future pc hardware is going to become a lot more standardised and as a result I think this coming generation of consoles are going to be the last. When everything is processed in the cloud and all your computer really has to do is have an internet connection (which will come eventually), games will be a lot more optimised.

Yeah PS3 and XBOX, same hardware since back in 2006 I believe. Although as you have mentioned, the upcoming consoles, like the PS4 are basically PCs that aren't customisable. Hence why I hope the games starting from next year will be playable at maxed out settings and that the hardware does become standardised over time. 

The new generation of consoles are going to make it lot easier for developers to optimize across platforms because they are basically just locked down PCs with some customization. In the current gen devs were having to code for weird platforms like ps3's cell architecture and that code does not run well on other platforms. The new gen is basically win-win-win for everyone- pc gamers, console gamers and devs.

The things is now is that most gamers are kids who got their parents to buy consoles. So the money is there at the moment. And consoles all have the same hardware inside so it's easier for developers to optimise their games on a hardware level unlike PCs which diverse in hardware. Which is the reason why shoddy GPUs in consoles can play BF3 well contradictory to slightly better cards like the GT620.

Because consoles games are selling much more than the Pc games.

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

Because consoles games are selling much more than the Pc games.

I don't think that's really the case...

I don't think that's really the case...

Here for black ops 2 :

Xbox 360 : 12.09m

Ps3 : 10.08m

Pc : 0.90m

it's from vgchartz, it may not be 100% accurate but we've got a big picture of the actual sales per platform. Yeah it's just one example but i don't think i'm wrong, overall devs gets more money from consoles

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

My GTX 590 has this problem with SLI profiles etc for new games Far Cry 3 was running maxed at 45fps @ 1080p upon release however after a few updates and a few tweaks on my part I got the game to run at 65-80fps which is a dramatic improvement however this is certainly not the case for all games it's quite annoying when on the back of box of a game it says my specs are good enough to play a game and then when you try and run it out the box it's needing many driver fixes.

I wish nvidia would spend more time testing for this; especially with high end expensive cards.

LOL.

because pc gaming isn't where all the money is at, thats why.

Yup theres over 30 million people on xbox alone.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Here for black ops 2 :

Xbox 360 : 12.09m

Ps3 : 10.08m

Pc : 0.90m

it's from vgchartz, it may not be 100% accurate but we've got a big picture of the actual sales per platform. Yeah it's just one example but i don't think i'm wrong, overall devs gets more money from consoles

I don't know if this is true but people tell me that vgchartz and other sources only count retail sales. Whereas on pc very few people buy retail it's almost all digital distribution. I could be wrong.

Well at least it will be way better when the new consoles come out.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

it's cos they can optimise for two platforms and make millions, whereas with pc there's basically an infinite number of permutations of hardware, and also, it's a much more pirate-able platform

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces