Is my MSI Gaming X 1660Ti too hot with my OC?

I've been dancing around the temperature numbers from my 1660ti in my head for the past few weeks. Seeing that my card goes as high as 86C in an airconditoned room (unsure of the room temp but I leave it blasting at 60F at all times on energy saver) and about 84-85C with my case open, sometimes even with an external fan blowing on it, but only when playing certain games, not all. My main test has been with Apex Legends in the training area because the gpu is at 99% on medium/high settings with a constant 7500mhz on memory and bopping between 2055 & 2070 on core at full load. I use it for my manual overclocks because it crashes instantly when it doesn't like something and it helped me come up with the maximum for the card which is +100% Core Voltage, 107% Power Limit (the Max for mine, idk if it's different for other 1660ti's), temp limit 89C, +149 Core Clock, and +1500 on Memory Clock, with an aggressive fan curve that is basically 30% from 0-40C and a straight diagonal line from anything above 41C go up at a constant rate up to 100% speed when it hits 80C.

I've had it overclocked almost as long as 6 months now and I remember it not going back 75C on windows 1904 for almost any game before I started keeping track of the temps instead of just the fps. I'm not sure if it actually would be windows, and with gpu hardware scheduling on or off it still reaches at 80C (even with stock settings) or above for some games (with OC).

I might reinstall windows 1904 from 2004 when I find the iso cause it's a clean install I have right now, and might reapply the thermal paste when I get back home, but what I'm wondering is if this is normal behavior for an overclock on my 1660ti? Or is this abnormal and should I change some settings/undervolt and do more testing? Because I saw some other posts about cards from Asus and how they're kind of hotter than most 1660ti's, but they're talking about theirs as high as like 75C when mines it's 86C at it's highest, and won't get any hotter with no decrease in performance.

(I'm not at home right now, so I don't have any screenshots currently)

Could be better, but certainly within spec. If you want, look to change the thermal paste. 

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

My Asus 1660 ti Dual OC runs at 86c with the factory overclock. I messed about with the fan curves to see if I could get it to run cooler but tbh the only thing that makes it run cooler is setting the max temp to 75c and putting up with lower performance.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

86c at 100% fan speed in an air-conditioned room doesn't sound right at all

This review was only 64c when overclocked and running at 37% fan speed -> https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1660_ti_gaming_x_review,29.html

This article is actually quite helpfulI. After remote controlling my PC from my phone with chrome remote desktop and running Heaven after I changed the core to +135 like in the article and noticed I'm getting the 2070mhz as I've seen usually when I had it at +149. Maybe I've just been getting diminishing returns through heat trying to make my core clock go higher when it can't for no reason. I'll be sure to compare my results when I get home tomorrow because the stream lags when games are open and the temperatures get inconsistent cause the window is in and out of focus.

1 hour ago, Rancidpunk said:

My Asus 1660 ti Dual OC runs at 86c with the factory overclock. I messed about with the fan curves to see if I could get it to run cooler but tbh the only thing that makes it run cooler is setting the max temp to 75c and putting up with lower performance.

Dang, if not already, try to repaste it/get someone you know to repaste it. I've heard those Asus versions of the 1660ti have been not too great at cooling.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:21 PM, Jae Tee said:

Could be better, but certainly within spec. If you want, look to change the thermal paste. 

Is there a guide that I can find to help me take off the back plate? All the screws seem to be screwed from the inside and capped on the backplate.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:44 PM, schwellmo92 said:

86c at 100% fan speed in an air-conditioned room doesn't sound right at all

This review was only 64c when overclocked and running at 37% fan speed -> https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1660_ti_gaming_x_review,29.html

The weirdest thing is happening, Apex Legends is refusing to start because of the lower overclock I put on, and now Heaven is as well. When the core previously was at +149 when I was away from home, changing it when I came back after leaving my PC on with nothing going on to +135 from +149 and it is crashing after a minute. I don't understand why it is deciding to do such a thing now all of a sudden.