Some games crash while playing.

Stefan Marinov

Specs:

Mobo - Asrock Steel Legend B450

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU - I have tried both R9 390 and R9 270x

SSD - Kingston 240GB

HDD - Seagate 2TB 7200RPM

RAM - 2x8gb 3200MHz XPG on 2nd and 4th slots (for some reason on CPU-Z it shows single channel.)

Hello.

For some reason when I play games some crash and some dont but the thing is that the crashes look the same on all games: Frozen screen and after some seconds a single frame changes and the whole game crashes.

My GPU r9 390 is really suspicious because I had even BSOD and I changed to my old GPU r9 270x 2 weeks ago and BSOD stopped although I have the feeling they will start again even with my old GPU but the games still crash..

I havent touched my BIOS drivers because if my electricity stops my mobo will be gone although I might try it if I have no options..

My RAM runs on the frequency that it is supposed to run (3200MHz). When I made this PC my RAM was running on 2666MHz and it was still crashing.

For some reason I have a gut feeling that the PSU is making those problems. Why is that? Well my "new" GPU r9 390 needs 275W and of course I used a calculator to see if 600W (my PSU) are enough and I had like 40W left so it was enough but who knows maybe it was too much for the PSU. I thought that it was the GPU but when I tried to use my old one it ran almost the same and the GPU is the only thing that is second hand the rest is brand new.. As you can see I have crashes only when I am playing.  I could preinstall Windows but I want to hear what options I have.

What game(s) crashes most often?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

600W s/be enough... if the R9 390 is second hand, it may be faulty.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

6 minutes ago, Stefan Marinov said:

Specs:

Mobo - Asrock Steel Legend B450

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU - I have tried both R9 390 and R9 270x

SSD - Kingston 240GB

HDD - Seagate 2TB 7200RPM

RAM - 2x8gb 3200MHz XPG on 2nd and 4th slots (for some reason on CPU-Z it shows single channel.)

Hello.

For some reason when I play games some crash and some dont but the thing is that the crashes look the same on all games: Frozen screen and after some seconds a single frame changes and the whole game crashes.

My GPU r9 390 is really suspicious because I had even BSOD and I changed to my old GPU r9 270x 2 weeks ago and BSOD stopped although I have the feeling they will start again even with my old GPU but the games still crash..

I havent touched my BIOS drivers because if my electricity stops my mobo will be gone although I might try it if I have no options..

My RAM runs on the frequency that it is supposed to run (3200MHz). When I made this PC my RAM was running on 2666MHz and it was still crashing.

For some reason I have a gut feeling that the PSU is making those problems. Why is that? Well my "new" GPU r9 390 needs 275W and of course I used a calculator to see if 600W (my PSU) are enough and I had like 40W left so it was enough but who knows maybe it was too much for the PSU. I thought that it was the GPU but when I tried to use my old one it ran almost the same and the GPU is the only thing that is second hand the rest is brand new.. As you can see I have crashes only when I am playing.  I could preinstall Windows but I want to hear what options I have.

A couple of things,

-Mainly the R9 390 is recommended to run on a 750W power supply, so i think this could explain the BSOD that your having. Although i would test this by stress testing the R9 390 to see if it gets a BSOD, and what error it come up with. (Should be noted certain website do state a 600W power supply is enough)

-The crashes in games, especially on the R9 270x, i don't think are related to the power supply,

- Stress test the R9 270x and the CPU.

image.png.1a4e00b84c29d225d755c57a6015c653.png

If, as you said, CPU-Z only reports single channel, here, does it show 16GB...?

If it does, then your RAM is in the wrong slots.

If not check every available slot in SPD to see which ones are not populated.

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

image.png.1a4e00b84c29d225d755c57a6015c653.png

If, as you said, CPU-Z only reports single channel, here, does it show 16GB...?

If it does, then your RAM is in the wrong slots.

If not check every available slot in SPD to see which ones are not populated.

Never mind about the dual channel. I remember it showing single channel but I just opened CPU-Z and it shows dual. Strange!

23 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

What game(s) crashes most often?

GTA 5; Star Citizen; Astroneer; rarely League of Legends; rarely Euro Truck Simulator 2

2 minutes ago, Stefan Marinov said:

Never mind about the dual channel. I remember it showing single channel but I just opened CPU-Z and it shows dual. Strange!

... and the other posts?

WHY NOT...?!

15 minutes ago, TekSupport said:

A couple of things,

-Mainly the R9 390 is recommended to run on a 750W power supply, so i think this could explain the BSOD that your having. Although i would test this by stress testing the R9 390 to see if it gets a BSOD, and what error it come up with. (Should be noted certain website do state a 600W power supply is enough)

-The crashes in games, especially on the R9 270x, i don't think are related to the power supply,

- Stress test the R9 270x and the CPU.

I used a site to calculate every component I have with the exact frequencies and stuff like that and it was enough. If I manage to fix the crashes I will try R9 390! Thank you!

GTA-V works best w/ a GTX660 or better

Star Citizen needs a Radeon RX-4xx just to get it installed

You need a better graphics card.

N/m the above; once you quoted those games I should've stopped inputting as I don't play them.

Add in that your kit is older than I'm familiar with... 

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

I am aware of that but it still runs on the weaker GPU. Note that even with the better one (R9 390) I had crashes so it really shouldnt be because of that! TY for the help. I will use AIDA64 for the stress tests I will give each (ram, gpu, cpu) 20 min.

1 minute ago, Stefan Marinov said:

I am aware of that but it still runs on the weaker GPU. Note that even with the better one (R9 390) I had crashes so it really shouldnt be because of that! TY for the help. I will use AIDA64 for the stress tests I will give each (ram, gpu, cpu) 20 min.

Edited above post.

WHY NOT...?!

9 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

N/m the above; once you quoted those games I should've stopped inputting as I don't play them.

Add in that your kit is older than I'm familiar with... 

All good mate! Thank you!

Use the Recommended spec's here as your start point & I'm sure you'll get decent game-play from anything you wanna play.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

WHY NOT...?!

3 hours ago, Eighjan said:

Use the Recommended spec's here as your start point & I'm sure you'll get decent game-play from anything you wanna play.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

I have found something very interesting. Firstly I did a system stability test (stress test) using AIDA64 and I tested one by one CPU, system memory, local discs and GPU. Then I tested FPU and cashe together. This is when BSOD popped up.. Then I stress tested FPU and almost immediately went to 90°C and stopped it. Then I tested cashe and it went to 86°C really fast. Then I tested CPU again and the temperatures were totally fine..   

Screenshot (18).png

IMG_20200703_202803.jpg

Well I did a research and the FPU test is normal to heat like that for some people but then again I just did a stress test only on the cache and it reached 91°C after 5 min and I stopped it. I still think of applying new thermal paste but I am not sure if it is going to help. I think I wasnt supposed to do a combination of FPU and Cache..