PC Turns On (Windows logo) Then Goes Black

Midevil Chaos

I built myself a Ryzen 2700X PC with an AMD/MSI GPU card. Sometimes, at random, I turn on my PC and it displays my custom image and then the Windows logo (the "at random" part is next). Afterwards, the screen quickly turns black, and no connection, but PC is turned on. I have already tried typing in my password, but I don't hear something from my PC (so I know it's probably not booting up Windows at that point). I have already changed cables from a Display Port cable to an HDMI cable a month ago. I then have to turn off the PC using the PSU switch. It then turns on correctly afterwards. I have NEVER seen this sort of behaviour on any computer before. Any ideas or suggestions?

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/36gpzN

full specs?

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

1 minute ago, Midevil Chaos said:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/36gpzN

I modded the topic so it also shows there now.

have you done any sort of overclocking or changing any settings? and when you say the screen is black, does the pc turn off completely? 

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

No. I don't ever overclock. No, the PC is turned on and everything. But nothing displays on the screen after the Windows logo quickly show up and disappears.

I had similar problem before and found it's caused by Window 10 Fast Boot. Once disabled the function the problem gone away. 

Just now, crazychenski said:

I had similar problem before and found it's caused by Window 10 Fast Boot. Once disabled the function the problem gone away. 

Ah ok. I will verify that in the bios next time I boot up and let you know if fast boot was enabled.

19 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Ah ok. I will verify that in the bios next time I boot up and let you know if fast boot was enabled.

Not BIOS btw. Fast Boot option is in the Window 10 Power Management setting, .......

Oh. Found it. Changed it there. Didn't realize it would be through the power management tool. 

I can't find the post that gave me the solution. But what they explained is, when used Shutdown function in Window 10, it doesn't fully "shutdown" but more like gone into Hibernation. When boot up next time, Window 10 can utilise the Fast Boot feature to boot up again faster,  and then will get Black screen. By force hard reboot the PC again, will remove the hibernation and allows proper fresh bootup, hence not getting black screen..... until we try using the Shutdown function in Window again.

Hence, disable Fast Option function should resolve that.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. I guess I will see how long it takes to boot up next time :) Not sure why such a poorly implemented feature would be the norm though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 7:27 PM, crazychenski said:

I can't find the post that gave me the solution. But what they explained is, when used Shutdown function in Window 10, it doesn't fully "shutdown" but more like gone into Hibernation. When boot up next time, Window 10 can utilise the Fast Boot feature to boot up again faster,  and then will get Black screen. By force hard reboot the PC again, will remove the hibernation and allows proper fresh bootup, hence not getting black screen..... until we try using the Shutdown function in Window again.

Hence, disable Fast Option function should resolve that.

And it happened again... Although this time, when it happened, the next time I booted up, I saw Avast was updating. Also, I wonder if the app Plastuer might have been a culprit? Avast was saying it might be a ransomware file as it tried modding one of its own [Plastuer] files on the desktop lol.

lol. I think the issue could be either Plastuer or my AV when updating its engine. I will monitor is and see if that may be the cause. I thought I was in the clear XD