How to force lower res without distortion

Due to reasons that I ain’t telling, I need to use a lower resolution (I’m in most recent Debian) but there is distortion As it tries to fill the whole screen. How do I remove such distortion even at the cost of black bars to the side? 

Sounds like a screen ratio problem.  Different resolutions have different screen framings.  You want to keep the ratio the same.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Have you checked the settings on the monitor itself, if it isn't stretching inputs?

6 hours ago, plus said:

Have you checked the settings on the monitor itself, if it isn't stretching inputs?

How do I check that?

Just now, Kidplayer_1204 said:

Doesn’t work unfortunately

Link doesn’t work or fix doesn’t work?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You can play around in the NVIDIA control panel if you're runnin NVIDIA. There are settings for screen positioning and streching with lower resolutions.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 hours ago, Kidplayer_1204 said:

Doesn’t work unfortunately

Are there any buttons on your monitor, at the side, the bottom or the backside, to open the menu? It's sometimes called "Screen Adjustment" or "Automatical Aspect Ratio" in on-screen menus.

If you are using a TV, it's probably in the picture settings submenu and called "screen mode".

On 7/3/2020 at 7:27 AM, Bombastinator said:

Link doesn’t work or fix doesn’t work?

Fix doesn’t.

On 7/3/2020 at 4:03 PM, plus said:

Are there any buttons on your monitor, at the side, the bottom or the backside, to open the menu? It's sometimes called "Screen Adjustment" or "Automatical Aspect Ratio" in on-screen menus.

If you are using a TV, it's probably in the picture settings submenu and called "screen mode".

It’s a laptop...