Weird CPU usage / reduced peformance

Go to solution Solved by 07_Sev,

I found the issue. I had a leaking capacitor near the cpu power delivery system

Edit: The motherboard in question was the MSI 970 gaming motherboard.

Hello fine folks,

I've got an AMD FX-8350 on a msi970 motherboard coupled with a gtx970 GPU.

I've got a fresh install of windows 10 on my pc and my cpu usage is all over the place. I've already installed my anti-malware software, discord and all the nessesary game launchers. Discord uses 10-20% of my cpu recources, which I think it's quite a lot. My games also see reduced peformance from when I first got the PC. stuttering and sevire framerate drops are all to common. And I dont even play the latest game. I play titanfall 2, battlefield 4 and fortnite. all on the lowest settings except for the resolution. Fortnite even struggles at lowest settings, 1080p which I find to be quit odd for this setup.

Anyone got any proposed solutions?

Thanks for the advice.

Also, forgot to mention, I have Linux dualbooted on my device on a completely seperate ssd.

Discord usage doesn't seem odd to me.

As for game stutters 

Ddu the drivers, check temps.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, 07_Sev said:

I've already installed my anti-malware software

Which one?

Some can be very heavy.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

6 hours ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

Which one?

Some can be very heavy.

I run bitdefender. but this usually doesn't take up to much cpu power.

for some reason, with a slight overclock a lot of the problems are fixed. though my pc now sounds like a lawnmoawer.

That's an 8 year old chip and a 6 year old GPU. I'm not sure how long you've actually had them, but I would hope they're not recent purchases. Silicone doesn't last forever. Performance will degrade over time as it wears out. Just because you did a fresh install doesn't mean you're going to go back to day one performance. If you've had these since they were current, you're approaching max life here anyways.

It's probably not what you want to hear, but the best solution is probably just to build a new system. (I'm not sure if you can call it an upgrade, when you're going to have to replace virtually everything in the box. Though, I guess you could probably keep your case if you wanted.)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

12 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

That's an 8 year old chip and a 6 year old GPU. I'm not sure how long you've actually had them, but I would hope they're not recent purchases. Silicone doesn't last forever. Performance will degrade over time as it wears out. Just because you did a fresh install doesn't mean you're going to go back to day one performance. If you've had these since they were current, you're approaching max life here anyways.

It's probably not what you want to hear, but the best solution is probably just to build a new system. (I'm not sure if you can call it an upgrade, when you're going to have to replace virtually everything in the box. Though, I guess you could probably keep your case if you wanted.)

I've bought the components new in 2014 so I know they have aged. I would however expect day 1 performance since all my never maintained 38 year old vectrex still works like new and Linus has already debunked performance degradation in the following video:

I do take your advice to heart though. As my financial situation has significantly worsened over the yeas I am not able to spend as much as I did on new hardware anymore. A pal of mine is willing to sell he's 1st gen ryzen 5 plus some ram for 90 euros to me and another one is willing to donate a gtx 1060 if I help him moving. When I bought my PSU i made sure it had a long warranty (8 years in my case). That just leaves a new motherboard which I can afford in a couple of months.

Well, I don't like disagreeing with Linus here, as I'll freely admit he knows more than I do, but silicone degradation is a real thing. It's physics. The more it's used, the more it will degrade. He even touched on this a bit in the video. Does it add up to a likewise degradation in performance? I don't think it's as clear cut as he makes it. That was one test with one specific graphics card against another specific graphics card. Maybe the used one had won the silicone lottery. Maybe it just didn't add up to a meaningful difference in this one matchup. How does a CPU fair over time? That isn't covered at all.

Long and short, maybe it will be close, but I still say it's unreasonable to expect day one performance out of 6 year old used components.

That said, you also have to consider the march of time with software. Developers optimize their apps and games against reference hardware, and they don't keep testing 6 year old hardware. The version of Windows you installed 6 years ago is entirely different than the version you installed today. Your apps and games have seen probably numerous updates over 6 years, assuming they're still around at all. It's not that it's necessarily bloatware, but just not as optimized as perhaps it could be, just because it doesn't have to be. And the math for determining whether investment in optimizing the code is worth it changes over time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

• 4 weeks later...

I found the issue. I had a leaking capacitor near the cpu power delivery system

Edit: The motherboard in question was the MSI 970 gaming motherboard.

Edited by 07_Sev