Should a GTX 1080 give >144hz in Apex Legends?

Sin Stalker
6 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well you can change the task manager to per core. Then turn the report rate to slow and just check in mid game or something.  

I did this and found the cpu cores going anywhere from <10% up to around 80%. Don't really know what I am looking for.

But an example of what I am dealing with. I was hitting 144 consistently for two games, then the frames dramatically dropped and stayed consistently low (by low I mean around 80 to 110). Then I hear one of my hard drives ramping up and then back down every few seconds, as if it was going bad. I then unplug it and the other HDDs I have starts doing the same thing, until I unplug it. I have my os on an nvme drive and the game is on an SSD, so unplugging my HDDs wasn't a big deal.

Another issue that occurs that hasn't yet tonight, is the audio will start crackling and my game will become choppy, as if several frames are being skipped at a time, so it doesn't appear smooth, but the fps counter still reads near or around 100.

There was nothing weird going on with the cpu usage, that I could tell or the gpu usage.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to add.....

So I was also running HW monitor this time and just noticed some numbers I think are really weird. Can someone tell me if this is right...

At some point, each core (whether at the same time or different times) reached 5441 MHz.  I thought Zen+ couldn't go that high....

Core power usage maxed at anywhere between 8.91 W to 10.29W, per core. Is this high?

On 7/1/2020 at 3:25 AM, Sin Stalker said:

I had a 1700x with a b350 mobo before this current x370 2700x system and it also has issues. Not sure if its because of bad first gen Asus mobos for ryzen or just ryzen in general. All I know is I am sick of instability and not getting my 144 fps.

Something is wrong with your system, I'm running an ASUS X370 board with a 3700X and it's running flawlessly. My buddy also uses a similar board with a 1700 and also doesn't report any problems with this combo.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

33 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Something is wrong with your system, I'm running an ASUS X370 board with a 3700X and it's running flawlessly. My buddy also uses a similar board with a 1700 and also doesn't report any problems with this combo.

My b350 was an Asus B350-F and my X370 is a Crosshair VI Hero. It seems like after 1 to 2 years, the board starts to degrade... I never OCed or did anything unique.

10 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

It's also stability issues. So I've done multiple different frequencies from 2133 to 3200, and different timings. None of it changes the issues.

The weird thing is I seem to have no trouble in other games. I boot up Rust or CoD and no glitching (but fps is still lower than I am told it should be).

Yes. And double checking by asking here. I even have tried a 1080ti in the system and barely get any more fps than with my 1080. 

Yet I'm not getting what others are getting for a 2700x. I bought a new board (arriving tomorrow) and I'll see if it fixes all the issues, including the fps. If I am not getting the fps I want, even though I do more than game on the machine, I will sell everything and go Intel.

I have two modules of 8gb. So I am using dual channel.

I have a 144hz monitor, so the fps won't go above 144. It is never at 144 except for menus. So 150 to 200 is impossible for my current system.

My last ditch effort (after struggling with this for almost a year at this point and it getting progressively worse) is to get b450 board and see if it's a quality issue with x370/b350. I also had similar issues after a year of using a b350 with a 1700x and replaced both the CPU and mobo to fix the issue.

I'll update once I install the new mobo.

You can always rely to nVidia Fast Sync to go further than refresh rate. So it's not impossible and it's a very valuable tip to have a better performance since every FPS count on these games.

Anyway, a new mobo shouldnt help you, but who knows, right? Maybe it's a faulty one. But it could also be SO, drivers, HDD, memory and even PSU.

How much frames do you have on Apex@1080p? Very low or low??Sadly this video is capped, but surely you should easily could keep 144FPS all the time with your system.

13 minutes ago, rodrigoxm49 said:

You can always rely to nVidia Fast Sync to go further than refresh rate. So it's not impossible and it's a very valuable tip to have a better performance since every FPS count on these games.

Anyway, a new mobo shouldnt help you, but who knows, right? Maybe it's a faulty one. But it could also be SO, drivers, HDD, memory and even PSU.

How much frames do you have on Apex@1080p? Very low or low??Sadly this video is capped, but surely you should easily could keep 144FPS all the time with your system.

I've installed fresh OS multiple times, went through many many drivers, have fast sync enabled and tested different memory. About everything but the CPU and board.

What is SO and how could an HDD cause this?

33 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

I've installed fresh OS multiple times, went through many many drivers, have fast sync enabled and tested different memory. About everything but the CPU and board.

What is SO and how could an HDD cause this?

Sorry, SO (sistema opreacional) means OS (Operational System) in portuguese. 

Do you use some reshade or these image filters from nVidia?

Fast Sync was not to solve the issue, it's just a feature that can make you play above 144FPS on 144Hz without tearing.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:46 AM, HumdrumPenguin said:

I'd be more concerned about the cpu you have.

Why is that?

On 7/2/2020 at 7:53 AM, rodrigoxm49 said:

Sorry, SO (sistema opreacional) means OS (Operational System) in portuguese. 

Do you use some reshade or these image filters from nVidia?

Fast Sync was not to solve the issue, it's just a feature that can make you play above 144FPS on 144Hz without tearing.

Do I use reshade or image filters for what?