Fan Filters on Laptops?

Skielum

After cleaning my old Asus Predator multiple times, I've wondered why do most laptops not use fan filters?

Considering how laptops are pretty much used anywhere and everywhere wouldn't it be great to add fan filters on it? I mean, even I've used my laptop on my bed, carpet, and sofa-- and every single time accumulating a bunch of dust and gunk.

12 minutes ago, Skielum said:

After cleaning my old Asus Predator multiple times, I've wondered why do most laptops not use fan filters?

Considering how laptops are pretty much used anywhere and everywhere wouldn't it be great to add fan filters on it? I mean, even I've used my laptop on my bed, carpet, and sofa-- and every single time accumulating a bunch of dust and gunk.

I'm no expert, but I would assume designers don't want to add any additional restrictions to the all ready restricted airflow. When a laptop is on a table, typically there are only a couple of millimeters between the intake grille and the table surface. Adding a filter layer would further restrict the air in that already constricted space and thus further hurt thermal performance.

ASU

Laptops need every little bit of cooling help they can get. Fan filters impose a huge restriction on air intake in already constrained devices. Especially when they clog up you might as well have a sealed off laptop by that point. Keep in mind that most consumers never ever clean their laptop and just buy a new one when it gets "slow" or starts crashing due to temp issues.