CPU is limited to only 75% maximum on Dota 2

Go to solution Solved by mockedarche,
4 minutes ago, LukeIsLoveLukeIsLife said:

Could you explain what you said please? I don't get it haha

Things tend to be programed to use a certain amount of threads or cores. While a lot of games have dynamic features there tends to be a limit ESPECIALLY with older games. That's why apex might use all of it and Dota 2 can't.

That's why you hear single threaded performance being important for games because it means the game can run faster and allow a higher frame rate (if the gpu can keep up).

Quick specs:

CPU: AMD A8-7600 

GPU: GT 1030 2GB GDDR5

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-S1

RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Fury 1866 DDR3 

PSU: SilverStone Strider Essential 500w

Resolution: 1920x1080 

When playing Apex Legends (very low settings) and with MSI Afterburner's On-Screen display, I can see that both my CPU and GPU usage are at 100%.

However, when I'm playing Dota 2, at high settings, the monitor displays 50% GPU usage (which is reasonable, since it is not a GPU intensive game), but the CPU1-4 usage seems to stop at 60% - 70% usage.

I know it is a very bad system, and I'm planning to upgrade once everything is back to normal here. 

I usually get an average of 70fps on Dota 2 High Settings, but during intense team-fights, it drops to around 35fps all while still having that CPU usage limit.

5 minutes ago, LukeIsLoveLukeIsLife said:

Quick specs:

CPU: AMD A8-7600 

GPU: GT 1030 2GB GDDR5

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-S1

RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Fury 1866 DDR3 

PSU: SilverStone Strider Essential 500w

Resolution: 1920x1080 

When playing Apex Legends (very low settings) and with MSI Afterburner's On-Screen display, I can see that both my CPU and GPU usage are at 100%.

However, when I'm playing Dota 2, at high settings, the monitor displays 50% GPU usage (which is reasonable, since it is not a GPU intensive game), but the CPU1-4 usage seems to stop at 60% - 70% usage.

I know it is a very bad system, and I'm planning to upgrade once everything is back to normal here. 

I usually get an average of 70fps on Dota 2 High Settings, but during intense team-fights, it drops to around 35fps all while still having that CPU usage limit.

Dota might not work up to the amount of threads. I know league is stuck at mostly single threaded so i wouldn't be surprised.

18 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Dota might not work up to the amount of threads. I know league is stuck at mostly single threaded so i wouldn't be surprised.

4 minutes ago, LukeIsLoveLukeIsLife said:

Things tend to be programed to use a certain amount of threads or cores. While a lot of games have dynamic features there tends to be a limit ESPECIALLY with older games. That's why apex might use all of it and Dota 2 can't.

That's why you hear single threaded performance being important for games because it means the game can run faster and allow a higher frame rate (if the gpu can keep up).

29 minutes ago, LukeIsLoveLukeIsLife said:

You have a number of cores...
Games don't automatically use ALL your system resources.
Games that say only see or use 2cores2threads would need Higher (Mhz/Ghz) to see improvements, adding cores does nothing.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz