Information about Magix

Hello,

I don't know if Linus will see this, I will be thankful if a mod or so hints him to this, because I don't know what the correct way is.

Watched the VoD of WAN Show on Youtube (different timezone, WAN Show is too late for me), wanted to share some experience

about Magix and why Intel probably picked it for the marketing slides.

Magix is a producer of software for audio and video editing. Several years ago I bought Magix Video Deluxe, to have something

to edit family videos with, without losing sanity while using Windows Movie Maker. On itself it was fine, used all threads from consumer

grade CPUs, easy to use UI and most of the world was sitting for some years on 4C/8T, so that no one cared.

Several years later AMD shocked the industry with Zen and consumer grade 8C/16T CPUs. I bought an 1800X and used if for different

things, one of it was to edit a video. Finished the edit, clicked on "Export" and waited to see how small the needed time will be.

After a minute I was worried, that I did an error somewhere, because the remaining time was only couple % lower compared to my

old CPU. Task-Manager showed only 50% utilization, maybe my target HDD went bad and slowed it down. Checked the HDD, it was fine

according to SMART and transfer speeds in file explorer were fine. After not knowing what to do, I remembered that I could something use,

that should work perfectly fine: ffmpeg. Took the original video, let ffmpeg convert it and saw 100% utilization together with the earlier expected

remaining time for the export.

Something had to be wrong with Magix Video Deluxe. Looked through the options and found the parameter, with which a user can limit the

number of used CPU cores for an export. Played with it around to get the confirmation, that the software it self has a hard cap off 8C/8T.

The version I had was a bit old, so installed the test version of the current release, but it had the same behaviour. After that, I searched

their forum and found some threads asking my question. Together with the information from support, both had been kindly phrased, the

intentional answer was:"Go and buy Intel Scrooge McDuck, they are superior with their QuickSync, we [Magix] don't care about core count!"

Maybe because of that Magix had been listed in the marketing slides from Intel

Don't know if Magixs' more expensive suits work better, but they lost me as a customer. I tried out their Magixs' Vegas, which they bought

from Sony and worked as hoped. It used all 16 threads too, like ffmpeg. But with such an attitude, they will not so money from me ever again.

Sincerely,

GTrash81